1. BARROW Julian (1939-2013) ‘Lansdown Crescent’, Bath. Oil on canvas. Signed and indistinctly dated. Ex. Coll: James-Lees Milne, who lived at No.19. 6.25x8.25 inches. Framed: 9x11 inches. £675.
2. ANON. Possibly French. Circa 1915. Moroccan troops. Oil on canvas. Exh: Peter Nahum Gallery. 13x18 inches. Framed: 17x22 inches. £575.
3. HALE Edward Matthew R.O.I. (1852-1924) ‘Blakeney from Morston’. Oil on card. Signed and dated, 1912. £1,250.
4. HYATT Derek (b.1931) ‘Omen’. Oil on panel. 1973. Exhibited: Waddington Galleries. 11x13 inches. Framed: 18.5x20.5 inches. £1,100.
5. KELLY Sir Gerald P.R.A. (1879-1972) ‘The Kutho - dawn. At the Festival: Sunrise’. Mandalay, Myanmar (Burma). Oil on card. Inscribed and dated, 1909, by the artist verso. Exh: No.13, ‘Sir Gerald Kelly: Burmese Paintings’, Art Exhibitions Bureau travelling exhibition 1958-1961. 6x7 inches. Framed: 10.75x11.75 inches. £1,100.
6. MACNAB Iain (1890-1967) Corsican rooftops. Oil on canvas. Circa 1935. Exhibited: FBA, 1962. 15x17 inches. Framed: 21x25 inches. £1,250.
7. RICCIARDI Oscar (1864-1935)
‘Naples Streets’: midday.
Oil on panel. Signed. Circa 1900.
7.25x11 inches. Framed: 13.5x17 inches.
8. NEWCOMB Tessa (b.1955) ‘Christmas Rose’. Oil on board. Signed. 1990. £975.
9. RICCIARDI Oscar (1864-1935) ‘Naples Streets’: dawn.
Oil on panel. Signed. Circa 1900.
7.25x11 inches. Framed: 13.5x17 inches. £1,300.
10. ROWLETT George (b.1941) ‘Thunder Clouds looming over Nelson Dock and Canary Wharf and Rotherhithe’. Oil on canvas. Signed, inscribed and dated 1990. 36x36 inches. Framed: 41x41 inches. £1,750.
11. WARREN William White (1835-1915) The Riva Schiavoni, Venice. Oil on card. Circa 1880. Exh: Agnews. 7.25x13 inches. Framed: 19x13 inches. £2,400.
12. STOKES Adrian (1902-1972) ‘Still Life’. Oil on canvas. Signed and dated 1965 on reverse. Exh: ‘Adrian Stokes’, Arts Council of Great Britain, 1982. Ex. Coll: Sir Norman Reid. 20x24 inches. Framed: 20.5x24.5 inches. £1,200.
GENERAL WATERCOLOURS AND DRAWINGS
13. COPE Charles West R.A. (1811-1890) ‘Cardinal Wolseley at the Gate of Leicester Abbey’. Watercolour study for the painting (1847) in the Royal Collection bought by Prince Albert. 4.5x5.75 inches. £475.
14. ANON. British School. Circa 1935. A Box at the Theatre. Pencil, pen and ink. Prov: The Estate of William Rothenstein and by descent. 8x11 inches. £375.
15. ATKINS Samuel (1787-1808) Cutters in a stiff breeze. Ink and watercolour. Signed. 6x7 inches oval. £1,100.
16. DOBSON Frank R.A. (1886-1963) Sculpture studies. Pencil. Neville Jason has suggested that this may relate to a sculpture considered for the Chapel designed by Lutyens for Lord Revelstoke on Lambay. 5.5x8.75 inches. £675.
17. DOBSON Frank R.A. (1886-1963) Europa and the Bull. Pencil. We are grateful to Neville Jason for confirming Dobson’s hand (letter 5.7.2002) 6x15.5 inches. £400.
18. DOBSON Frank R.A. (1886-1963) Studies for sculpture. Pencil. Circa 1929. Neville Jason has suggested that these studies relate to his work on Hay’s Wharf (1929). 9.5x13.5 inches. £675.
19. HARPIGNIES Henri Joseph (1819-1916) Study of a tree. Brush and ink. Signed and dated, 1897. Ex. Coll: Georges Bizot. Exh: Harpignies, Villiers St Benoit, 2001, no.21. 3.5x2 inches. Framed: 8.5x9.75 inches. £225.
20. DANIELL Samuel (1775-1811) Southern Africa: A Tswana boy. Pencil and wash. Dated ‘3 Feb 1802’. The artist was in Tswana (Bechuanaland / Botswana) from October 1801-April 1802. Exh: Maas Gallery. 8x6 inches. £1,250.
21. GARNETT Angelica (1918-2012) 'Vanessa's Lamp'. Watercolour. Monogrammed. 21x11 inches. £550.
22. FARINGTON Joseph R.A. (1747-1821) A wooded valley. Pencil on blue grey paper. Prov: A folder of Farington drawings with A and H in the 1970s. 10x13 inches.£225.
23. FROST Sir Terry R.A. (1915-2003) Collage, with watercolour. Folded as a Christmas card. Signed and inscribed on the inside, dated 1985. 4x4 inches. £750.
24. GARLAND Nicholas (b.1935) Tory Party Leadership problems: Margaret Thatcher, Willie Whitelaw and Enoch Powell. Pen, ink and blue crayon for the Daily Telegraph. Inscribed and signed. 10x14.5 inches. £300.
25. HOWITT Samuel (1756-1822) Seal taking a dip. Pencil and watercolour. Signed beneath the mount. Prov: Sotheby’s 25.4.1990. 5x6 inches. £225.
26. GUTHRIE Robin (1902-1971) ‘Walter de la Mare’, Poet and Novellist. Pencil. Signed, inscribed and dated, 1942. 12x8.5 inches. £375.
27. GRANT Duncan (1885-1978) Lovers. Ball point pen. Circa 1965. Exh: Louise Hallett Gallery. 6.5x8 inches. Framed: 13.5x14.5 inches. £675.
28. McCLISE Daniel R.A. (1806-1870) Royal Horse Artillery Officer. Pencil. Signed and dated July 1826. 9.5x7.5 inches. £1,250.
29. LAVERS, BARRAUD and WESTLAKE (Stained Glass Manufacturers, Endell Street, Covent Garden, Founded 1855) ‘Christ working miracles’. Presentation watercolour for stained glass window. Late 19th century.
15.5x9.5 inches. Framed: 23.5x17 inches.
30. LANCASTER Sir Osbert (1908-1986) Harold Wilson Imperator, dedicated to his Post-Master General Hon John Stonehouse M.P. Pen, ink and crayon for the Daily Express. Signed. Dated stamped ’22 March 1969’. 5x4 inches. £400.
31. NOVELLO Edward Petre (1813-1836) (Attributed to) ‘Student’. Pencil. Circa 1833. 7x5 inches. £225.
32. MIDDLETON John (1785-1849) A river bed, possibly near Ivybridge, Devon. Watercolour. Circa 1845. 13.75x10.5 inches. £1,750.
33. NASH John R.A. (1893-1977) ‘Helibores’. Pen, brush and ink. Inscribed and dated, ‘March 23rd 1955’. 15x10 inches. £225.
34. PAOLOZZI Sir Eduardo R.A. (1924-2005) Composition. Pencil, crayon and ink. 8.25x11.25 inches. £675.
35. PILSBURY Wilmot (1840-1908) A stockyard at dusk. Watercolour and gouache. Signed and dated, 1881. 10.75x16.5 inches. £375.
36. PINWELL George (1842-1875) Study of a crawling child. Charcoal. Prov: Christopher Powney. 4.75x6.5 inches. £225.
37. UNDERWOOD Leon (1890-1975) ‘Male Nude’. Pencil. Signed, inscribed and dated, 1922. 18x9 inches. £375.
38. SHELLEY Samuel O.W.S. (1750-1808) ‘The Lady from ‘Comus’ lost, thus exposing herself’ (to the seducer Comus), Milton. Watercolour. Circa 1805. Inscribed verso and partial ?signature. 8x6 inches. Framed: 16.5x14 inches. £825.
39. SPRINGS John (b.1962) ‘Sir Wilfred Thesiger C.B.E. D.S.O. F.R.G.S. (1910-2003) Pen and ink. Signed. 13x8.5 inches. £675.
40. VAUGHAN Keith (1912-1977) Figure studies. Pencil. Dated by the artist ‘July 3’. Later signed. 10.5x8 inches. £975.
41. WARD John C.B.E. N.E.A.C. (1917-2007) ‘Gillian VI’. Pencil. Signed and dated, 1988. 9x8 inches. Framed: 15x14 inches. £475.
42. WELLINGTON Hubert (1879-1967) ‘Nancy making toast’. Pen and ink. 1920. Signed. Exh: Agnews (No.23952) 7.5x6 inches. £375.
43. WILLIAMS Evelyn (1929-2012) Girl with curly hair. Signed and dated, 1985. 28x21 inches. Framed: 36x28 inches. £975.
44. WEATHERSON Alexander (b.1930) ‘See you at Mabels’. Pen and ink to illustrate a story by Colin MacInnes published in Encounter, circa 1952. Prov: Margot Walmsley 5x6 inches. Framed: 13x14 inches. £375.
45. POLLIZER Sigmund (1913-1982) Head of a Man, possibly John Mavrogordato. Pencil. Signed and dated, 1945. Prov: Estate of John Mavrogordato. 12x9 inches. Framed: 19x16 inches. £675.
THE ANDREW WYLD RESEARCH SUPPORT GRANT
After his death in 2011, a fund was set up in Andrew Wyld’s memory. Its aim – to enable students to look at, handle, and judge works on paper for themselves.
The Mellon Centre will award the Andrew Wyld Grants annually to students
working on British eighteenth and nineteenth century works on paper.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION
WATERCOLOURS AND DRAWINGS OF PARTICULAR PLACES
46. CARLANDI Onorato (1844-1939) View of Lago Maggiore from the shore near Baveno. Watercolour. Signed. 14.5x21.5 inches. Framed: 23x31 inches. £375.
47. ANON. Circa 1935. ‘Regatta, Menton’. Pencil, ink, watercolour and gouache. Inscribed and indistinctly signed. 16.25x26.5 inches. Framed: 39x28 inches. £875.
48. COOKE Isaac (1846-1922) Westmorland. ‘Still day on Grasmere’. Watercolour. Signed. 19.5x30 inches. Framed: 28x38 inches. £775.
49. COLLINGWOOD William Gershom (1854-1932) ‘Coniston’. Watercolour and gouache. Signed. Inscribed and dated verso, ‘July 26th 1913’. 15x10.5 inches. Framed: 22x16.5 inches. £475.
50. BRABAZON Hercules Brabazon N.E.A.C. (1821-1906) ‘Italy’. Pencil and watercolour. Signed and inscribed. 7.75x5 inches. £775.
51. COX David O.W.S. (1783-1859) 'The Keep, Haddon Hall'. watercolor. Signed and inscribed on the original backing. £675.
52. COWLES Fleur (1908-2009) North Carolina: ‘Henry’s Grocery, Ellijay, N.C.’. Watercolour and gouache. Signed and dated, (19)44. 15x20 inches. £425.
53. CROTCH Dr William (1775-1847) London. ‘Kensington Gardens’. Pastels. Inscribed verso and ‘Not at all like, I must draw it again, June 17th’, 1822. 6x9 inches. £400.
54. DEANE Family of John Deane (1775-1817) Commissioner of Bihar. India. Bihar. Shahabad District. Bhojpur: ‘House at Arah’. 8x11 inches. Framed: 13.5x16.25 inches. £450.
55. FAIRCLOUGH Wilfred R.W.S. (1907-1997) ‘Torcello from Burano’. Watercolour. Signed and dated, 198(?). 9x13.5 inches. £325.
56. GROSE Captain Francis (1731-1791) Suffolk. 'Saint Matthew Gate, Ipswich'. Ink and watercolour. Inscribed by the artist. Ex. Coll: Dudley Snelgrove. 4x6 inches. £475.
57. JONES Fred Cecil (1891-1956) Yorkshire ‘Micklethwaite, Bingley’. Watercolour. Circa 1835. Signed an inscribed. 10.5x13.5 inches. £2,750.
58. GUNAY Lufta (b.1924) Turkey. ‘Kostence (Kosfence II), Slum area on the hill from Kayas’. Pastel and gold paint. Signed, inscribed and dated, 1978. 17x20 inches. Framed: 25x27 inches. £375.
59. GORE Charles (1729-1827) ‘North View Gibraltar’. Ink and watercolour. Circa 1775. Prov: Amongst the Gore Collection of Miss Joan May which we featured in July 2011. 6x16 inches. Condition: damaged area with visible repair to the right side. £350.
60. GORE Charles (1729-1827) Shipping in a brisk breeze. Prov: Amongst the Gore Collection of Miss Joan May which we featured in July 2011. Ink and wash. Circa 1775. 8x12.75 inches. Condition: Repaired but visible vertical fold. £475.
61. HERBERT Harold Brocklebank (1891-1945) Australia ‘Sheep Country, Victoria’. Watercolour and gouache. Signed and dated, 1935. 11x15 inches. Framed: 18.25x22 inches. £975.
62. HOGARTH Paul (1917-2001) Greece. Athens, ‘The Cinema’. Pencil, pen and ink. Signed, inscribed and dated, 1952. 12x14 inches. Framed: 19.5x21.5 inches. £675.
63. LAING James Garden (1852-1915) ‘Bristol at dusk’. Ink and watercolour. Signed and inscribed. Exh: Venice International Exhibition 1912. 21x27 inches. £975.
64. MARKS Grete Heymann Loebenstein (1899-1990) A Croatian Port. Watercolour. Circa 1935. Prov: the artist’s Estate. 13x17.5 inches. Framed: 18.5x23 inches. £975.
65. MARKS Grete Heymann Loebenstein (1899-1990) ‘North German landscape III’. Watercolour on Japanese paper. Circa 1930. Prov: the artist’s Estate. 12x15.75 inches. £1,000.
66. MARKS Grete Heymann Loebenstein (1899-1990) Baltic beach. Watercolour on Japanese paper. Circa 1930. Prov: the artist’s Estate. 13x18 inches. £1,100.
67. JOWETT Percy Hague (1882-1955) Westmorland. ‘Scandale Beck’. Watercolour. Circa 1935. Signed. 12x16 inches. £225.
68. NORTH John William A.R.A. (1842-1924) A Somerset Orchard. Watercolour. Signed and dated, 1888. 12x18 inches. Framed: 19x15 inches. £2,250.
69. LONDON (subject). ‘G.Miles’. Circa 1820. ‘View from Hungerford Market’; scavengers on the Thames. Watercolour. Signed. 9.24x11.5 inches. £375.
70. MORLEY Harry A.R.A. (1881-1943) ‘Dieppe’. Ink and watercolour. 1931. Signed. 12x10.75 inches. £225.
71. NEWCOMB Tessa (b.1955) Venice: ‘Always someone sweeping’. Pencil and gouache on an opened out envelope. Signed and dated, 2006. 13x12 inches irregular. Framed: 18x16.5 inches. £600.
72. NICHOLSON Francis O.W.S. (1753-1844) A waterfall. Watercolour. Prov: Rebecca, Lady Chatterton (1806-1876, a friend of the artist) and by descent to Rebecca, Countess Ferrers (1830-1923) 18x14.75 inches. £875.
73. MULLER William James (1812-1845) ‘North Wales, Shepherd’s Hut’. Watercolour and gouache on tan paper. Signed. 13.75x20.5 inches arched top. £1,200.
74. PHILIPSON Sir Robin P.R.S.A. R.A. (1916-1992) ‘Catedrale di San Ruffino, Assisi’. Pencil. Signed on original label. Exh: Loomshop Gallery, Lower Largo, Fife. 14.75x22 inches. Framed: 23.25x29.5 inches. £375.
75. PLESSIS Enslin du (1894-1978) Egypt. ‘On the Nile near Kassil Kheir’. Pencil, pastel and watercolour. Signed. 10x14 inches. £225.
76. POWELL Joseph. P.N.W.S. (1780-1834) Surrey. ‘Near Esher’. Watercolour. Signed and dated, 1822. £275.
77. SHANKS Tom Hovell R.S.W. (b.1921) ‘Arran from Ayrshire Coast’. Pencil, ink and watercolour. Signed. 10x29 inches. Framed: 37x8 inches.£775.
78. PITCHFORTH Roland R.A. (1895-1982) ‘The River Tees’. Watercolour. Signed. Exh: R.A. 1968. 12x18.5 inches. £225.
79. ZUBER Henri (1844-1909) Paris under snow. Watercolour. Signed. 10x14 inches. £1,100.
80. TURNER of Oxford, William O.W.S. (1789-1862) Kent. The Camden Arms, Pembury. Watercolour and gouache. 8x14 inches. £1,100.
81. WYLLIE William Lionel R.A. N.E.A.C. (1851-1931) ‘Tangier’. Watercolour. Signed and inscribed. 11x18 inches. £2,250.
82. YARROW-JONES Ernest (1872-1951) France. The artist’s garden at Bormes near Hyeres. Watercolour. Circa 1920. Signed. 8x10.75 inches. Framed: 17.5x20 inches. £250.
83. WHISTLER Rex (1905-1944) New Zealand, Auckland: ‘It was there, in a tin Chapel, that I first imagined what Heaven was to be like’. Ink and watercolour. Drawn to illustrate the second of twelve articles by Hector Bolitho, Nash’s-Pall Mall Magazine, Feb. 1935. Ex. Coll: Laurence Whistler; Hector Bolitho. 7x5 inches. £2,750.
84. WOODFORDE Samuel R.A. (1763-1817) Turkey. The Persians discussing the crossing of the Hellespont. Ink and watercolour. Ex. Coll: Earls of Yarborough. 13.5x17.75 inches. Framed: 22x26 inches. £675.
85. AYRTON Michael (1921-1975) Sun bathers. Lithograph. Circa 1956. Signed and editioned 8/50. 13x20 inches. £475.
86. AYRTON Michael (1921-1975) Girl and Cat. Lithograph. Proof. Inscribed or signed beneath mount. 17x12.5 inches. £275.
87. AYRTON Michael (1921-1975) The Goatherd. Lithograph. Proof. 13x17 inches. £225.
88. BLAMPIED Edmund R.E. (1886-1966) ‘Ostend’. Etching. 33/100. Signed. 6.75x10 inches. £400.
89. BRESSLERN-ROTH Norbertine (1891-1978) ‘St Hubert II’. Linocut printed in colours. 1928. Signed. 7.75x9.75 inches. £1,100.
90. BLAMPIED Edmund R.E. (1886-1966) ‘Misty Morning’. Etching. Signed and inscribed ‘1st trial proof. Oct.10.1928’. 8.75x12 inches. £450.
91. FAIRCLOUGH Wilfred R.E. R.W.S. (1907-1996) ‘Covent Garden, Orchestra Pit’ (L.78). Etching. Signed and dated, 1972. 9.75x12.25 inches. £875.
92. HAYDEN Henri (1883-1970) ‘Fay-le-Bac’. Lithograph. 19/75. Signed and dated 1968. 15x20 inches. £975.
93. HALL THORPE John (1874-1947) ‘Sweet Peas’. Wood cut. Signed and inscribed. 9.25x11.25 inches. £450.
94. KNIGHT Dame Laura R.A. R.W.S. (1877-1970) ‘Susie’.
Etching. Signed and inscribed. ‘Trial state’.
9.5x13.5 inches. £675.
95. MALET Guy Seymour Warre (1900-1973) The Farm, possibly on Sark. Wood engraving.17/30. Proof. Prov: Malet Studio Sale. 7x9.5 inches. £125.
96. HERMES Gertrude R,A. (1901-1983) ‘Bodiam Castle’. Woodcut printed in colours on Japanese paper. Signed, inscribed, editioned 12/50 and dated, 1962. 11x28 inches. Framed: 22x39 inches. £775.
97. PYNE James baker (1800-1870) (After) Rydal Water. Hand coloured lithograph by W Gauci. For The English Lake District, publ. Agnews, 1853. £125.
98. PYNE James baker (1800-1870) (After) Grasmere from Loughrigg Fell. Hand coloured lithograph by W Gauci. For The English Lake District, publ. Agnews, 1853. £125.
99. PYNE James baker (1800-1870) (After) Buttermere. Hand coloured lithograph by W Gauci. For The English Lake District, publ. Agnews, 1853. £125.
100. ROUSSEL Theodore Casimir (1847-1926) ‘Corner of Lunar Street, Chelsea Embankment’ (H.28). Etching. 1888/89. Signed on the stubb. 6.5x5.5 inches. £1,100.
102. FROOD Hester (1882-1971) Six etchings (Italy, France Spain and England).
Click here to view
103. MCBEAN Angus (1904-1990) Coffee table.
Photographic printed surface backed onto wood, with a cut metal frame. Signed and dated, 1960, underneath. Prov: Estate of Angus McBean.
40x17.5 inches. 16.5 inches high.
Our Lists are published here on the first Wednesday of every month. They introduce at least 100 works to the large stock of oil paintings, watercolours, drawings and prints, arranged over three floors at our Museum Street building.
Nothing is sold from the List before 9.30am on the Wednesday it is published. Those of you who are on the doorstep get first go at the new stock, and while we try to keep telephone and email enquiries in strict order of receipt, there will be times when technological overlaps muddy the system.
Images: These are only intended as an indication of the work – please telephone or email if you have any questions about the photograph’s relationship to the original. We reserve pictures for 24 hours while they are being considered. For larger images or to make reservations email email@example.com
Attributions: are fully guaranteed; don’t hesitate to question us about them. Money back AND a box of Black Magic should you buy something and discover we are wrong.