LIST 502 – APRIL 2020
(Part II will be issued on April 17th)
While the Gallery is closed we will take telephone orders on
07780 006436 (NOT on 020 7637 3981)
and emails at firstname.lastname@example.org
1. ANON. Circa 1800. Derwent Water and Lodore Falls. Watercolour. 12x17 inches. £400.
2. ANON. Circa 1830. Portrait of a Lady, reputedly ‘Lady Hertford’. Pencil and wash. 5x4.25 inches. £225.
3. ANDREWS George Henry (1816-1898) London: A proposal (unrealised) for a Steamboat Pier at Temple on the Victoria Embankment (1865-1870), with Blackfriars Bridge downstream. Pencil, ink, watercolour and gouache. Signed and dated (18)65. 8.5x17 inches. £2750.
4. BATTERSBY Martin (1914-1982) ‘Jigsaw’. Gouache. Original framed and mount. Exhibited: Arthur Jeffress Gallery. Framed: 9x9.5 inches. £675.
5. ANON. Circa 1750. Houses lining a river. Brush and grey washes on three joined pages. 5.25x16.5 inches. £225.
6. BELL Julian (b.1952) School Yard, possibly Leeds. Oil on canvas. Signed and dated, February 1975. 20x30 inches. Framed: 23x33 inches. £1750.CLICK HERE to view framed.
7. ANON. 1935. Study of an (?) Indigenous American Woman. Watercolour and gouache. Initialled? ’C.N.B’ and dated, 1935. 7.25x5.25 £225.
8. BEER Richard (1928-2017) ‘Ca d’Oro’, Venice. Etching and aquatint. Signed, inscribed and editioned 64/100. 23.5x18 inches. £350.
9. ANON. Circa 1845 ‘Lady Willmot’ (sic). Oil on panel. Inscribed verso of panel. Possibly Maria Miller-Mundy (c.1804-1865) m. 1826 Sir Henry Sacheverel Wilmot 4th Bt of Chadderden Hall, Derbyshire (1801-1872). 12x9.25 inches. Framed: 13.5x11 inches. £1150.
10. CARRICK John Mulcaster (1833-1896) ‘At St Leven, near Land’s End’. Oil on canvas. Signed and dated, 1887. Inscribed verso. 14x24 inches. Framed: 35x25 inches. £1750.CLICK HERE to view framed.
11. BLAKE Frederick Donald R.I. R.S.M.A. (1908-1997) A Fairground. Ripolin on paper. Signed. Circa 1960. 6x18.5 inches. £375.
12. BURRA Edward (1905-1976) Reclining Model. Pen and ink. Provenance: Sketchbook of figure studies, circa 1925. Burra Sale, Sotheby’s, 3.7.2002. 10x16.5 inches. £675.
13. CLARK John Cosmo R.A. (1897-1967) ‘A stokes gun class at Akaba’. Oil/canvas. Signed. Provenance: Works from the Studios of Jean Clark RWS and the late Cosmo Clark RWS, Bankside Gallery, 1983. no.100. Ill: T.E. Lawrence, Revolt in the Desert. Exhibited: T. E. Lawrence: Lawrence of Arabia, 1988. National Portrait Gallery. 19.5x15 inches. Framed: 18.75x23 inches. £5750.CLICK HERE to view framed.
14. COOPER KING R.M. F.G.S. Lt. Charles (1843-1898) China. Changchow: a courtyard in a mandarin’s house. Pencil and watercolour. Inscribed verso: ‘In the house occupied by Geck Suey / Chang Chow’. In 1864 Cooper King was appointed to command the detachment of Marines on H.M.S. Scylla in the China Seas and Japan. Exhibited: Martyn Gregory, no.76, Catalogue 53: ‘In the Western Manner’, 1989. 11x7.5 inches. Framed: 24x18 inches. £575.CLICK HERE to view framed.
15. BLAKE Sir Quentin C.B.E. R.D.I. (b.1932) A Nest Hat. Pen, brush and ink. Signed. 12x9 inches. Framed: 17.75x14.75 inches. £1400.CLICK HERE to view framed.
16. DARWIN Sir Robin R.A. N.E.A.C (1910-1974) Italian Beach Bar. Watercolour and gouache. Signed and dated, 1955. 9.5x13.25 inches. £475.
17. CARR Matthew (1953-2011) Allan Hollinghurst, Novelist (b.1954) Conte pencil on charcoal prepared paper. Signed and dated, 2008, verso. Exhibited: Marlborough Fine Art. 35x23.5 inches. Framed: 43x30.75 inches. £875.CLICK HERE to view framed.
18. CHARLTON Evan (1904-1984) Table-top still-life. Ink and watercolour. Signed. 20x23.5 inches. Framed: 24x27.5 inches. £775.CLICK HERE to view framed.
19. FIELD Walter (1837-1901) ‘A Holiday at Hampstead’ Signed and dated, 1875. 16.5x23.75 inches. Framed: 24.5x31.5 inches. £1750.CLICK HERE to view framed.
20. DOYLE Charles Altamont (1832-1893) A bathing party. Pencil and watercolour Exhibited: Maas Gallery. Ex. Collection: Virginia Surtees. 8.75.x13.73 inches. £2500.
21. HODGKIN Sir Howard R.A. (1932-2017) ‘All Alone in the MoMa’ (H.53) Soft-ground etching. Signed, editioned 63/100 and dated 1979. 29x39 inches. Framed: 35x45 inches. £2250.
22. FISHER Sir George Bulteel (1764-1834) ‘On the Hudson’s River’. Pencil and watercolour. Inscribed on the backing). As Tutor to Prince Edward Augustus, Fisher accompanied him to Lower Canada and the USA between 1791 and 1794. Provenance: Abbott and Holder. A folder of 10 watercolours by Fisher from Sotheby’s 3.6.1981 (after-sale). 5.5x9.5 inches. £400.
23. HARDY Heywood (1842-1933) The White Greyhound. Oil on canvas. Signed and dated, 1880. 12x14 inches. £3500.
24. HAYMAN Patrick (1915-1988) ‘Nude’. Oil on board. Signed. Signed, inscribed and dated 1966 verso of frame. Exhibited: New Grafton Gallery. 5x7 inches. Framed: 8.5x10.5 inches. £575.CLICK HERE to view framed.
25. HOLLIDAY Henry (1839-1927) ‘Easedale, Westmoreland. Oil on canvas. Inscribed and dated, 1906, on the original frame. 18.5x28.5 inches. Framed: 29x38.5 inches. £2250.CLICK HERE to view framed.
26. JOHN Augustus O.M. R.A. (1878-1961) A wind-blown girl. Pen and ink. Provenance: Edwin John. Sara John. 7.75x4.75 inches. Framed: 14.25x10.5 inches. £975.
27. HOLGATE Thomas Wood (1869-1954) ‘Evening, near Porthleven, Cornwall’. Oil on canvas board. 9.75x13.75. Framed: 15.75x19.25 inches. £675.
28. LAMBERT George Washington A.R.A. (1872-1930) ‘Liphook’. Oil on board. Signed. Inscribed verso ‘Actually painted during a picnic at Churt, of K M Shuffrey & children & Lambert’. Lambert frequently stayed with the painter Kathleen Shuffrey at her cottage at nearby Liphook and the painting shows her and her children Elizabeth, Helen and Leonard. Exhibited: Goupil Gallery. Provenance: Leonard Shuffrey (1908-2001) 14.25x17.25 inches. Framed: 18x20.75 inches. £6750.
29. LETT-HAINES Arthur (1894-1978) Moroccan Street. Charcoal on a sketchbook page. Signed and dated, 1921. 16x8 inches. £875.
30. LANDELLS Ebenezer (1808-1860) Dignitaries attending (?)Queen Victoria, possibly at Versailles on her 1855 trip. Pencil study, probably for the Illustrated London News. Provenance: Album of Landell’s studies. 4.75x7 inches. £475.
31. MITCHELL Enid B (Exhibited 1920-1930) ‘Watermelon’. Linocut printed in colours. Signed. Inscribed and editioned ‘12/25’. 4.25x4.25 inches. £475.
32. LOCK William, the Younger (1767-1847) Studies of two Heads. Pen, brush and ink. Exhibited: Christopher Powney. 4x5 inches. Framed: 11.25x12 inches. £450.
33. LYONS-WILSON William (1892-1981) A Cornish Estuary. Watercolour Circa 1950. Signed. 14x18.25 inches. Framed: 23.5x27.5 inches £475.CLICK HERE to view framed.
34. MACQUOID Percy Thomas R.I. (1852-1925) A Spanish Market. Oil on canvas, unstretched, mounted. Signed and dated, 1905. 15.25x11.5 inches. £225.
35. MACKENZIE-SMITH Barbara (Mid C20th) ‘Girl with Doll’. Oil on board. Exhibited: ‘Contemporary Artists’, Leicester Galleries, December 1939. Ex. Collection: Sir Hugh Walpole. 8.75x6.25 inches. Framed: 12.75x10.5 inches. £975.CLICK HERE to view framed.
36. MILOW Keith (b.1945) Rusted Form. Gouache and collage. Signed and dated, 1977. 30.5x22.25 inches. Framed: 34.5x26 inches. £675.CLICK HERE to view framed.
37. NICHOLSON Sir William (1872-1949) ‘Snowscape’. Pencil study drawn on reverse of a photogravure. Inscribed. Accompanied by a note ‘For God’s sake / return this / William Nicholson / 11 Apple Tree Yard / St James’/S.W.’. £975.
38. POTTER Mary (1900-1981) ‘Burnt Hedge’. Oil on canvas. 1967. Exhibited: The New Art Centre. 24x20 inches. Framed: 29x25 inches. £6750.CLICK HERE to view framed.
39. READ E. (fl.1860s) ‘Isle of Wight’. Watercolour and gouache. Signed, inscribed and dated, September 1860. 13.25x19.75 inches. £775.
40. PROCKTOR Patrick R.A. (1836-2003) ‘Palazzo Dario’, from ‘The Venice Suite’. Aquatint printed in colours.1978. Signed and editioned 9/35. 35x25.5 inches. £975.
41. RAEMAEKERS Louis (1869-1956) ‘To Tipperary / Tommy: ‘They were heavy, weren’t they Heinerich!’(sic). Charcoal and pastel. Signed and inscribed. Prince Rupprecht, Crown Prince of Bavaria, had demanded: ‘Bavarians: I insist upon you giving the English special heavy blows!’. 14.5x12 inches. £675.
42. ROME (Subject) Circa 1870. The arcades of the Colosseum. Watercolour. Inscribed ‘M.E.W.’, and formerly attributed to Edward Matthew Ward (1816-1879). 20x13.25 inches. Framed: 28x20.5 inches. £475.
43. RUSHBURY Sir Henry R.A. R.E. (1889-1968) ‘St Paul’s from Cannon Street’ (JR80). Etching. 1942. Signed. 10x14.5 inches. £375.
44. RUSHBURY Sir Henry R.A. R.E. (1889-1968) ‘Place des Victoires’, Paris (JR54). Dry-point. From an edition of 90. 1927. Signed 14.75x10.75 inches. £375.
45. RUSHBURY Sir Henry R.A. R.E. (1889-1968) ‘Les Baux’ (JR41). Dry-point. From an edition of 50. 1922. Signed. 9.5x13.25 inches. Framed: 17.5x21.25 inches. £375.
46. RYE E. (Circa 1850) ‘A Counter Attraction’. Pen and ink. Inscribed. Exhibited: Christopher Powney. 9.5x7.75 inches. Framed: 16.25x14 inches. £775.
47. SHEPHARD Rupert R.S.P.P. (1909-1992) ‘The Bus’. Linocut printed in colours. Signed and editioned 51/60 of the Set ‘London-The Passing Scene’, Patrick Seale Prints, 1975. 16x11.75 inches. £375.
48. ROYDS Margery Allington (1874-1941) Christ in the Carpenters Shop. Woodcut printed in colours. Proof. 8.75x7.75 inches. £475.
49. WHITE Ethelbert R.W.S. N.E.A.C. (1891-1972) ‘The Gitano’. Pencil and watercolour. Circa 1920. Signed. Inscribed verso and with Artist’s Estate Stamp inscribed ‘No.21’. 14x11.5 inches. £2850.
50. SONNABEND Yolanda (1935-2015) Miranda. Pencil, crayon and gold paint costume design for Toyah Willcox in Derek Jarman’s film ‘The Tempest’, 1979. Signed, inscribed ‘Tempest’ and dedicated ‘To Bee’. 14.5x10.25 inches. £1000.
51. WALTON Cecile (1891-1956) ‘Diana’. Oil on card. Signed and dated 1953. 21x16.5 inches. £675.
How ‘The List’ Works
Our Lists are usually published on this website on the first Wednesday of every month, introducing 100 works to our large stock of oil paintings, watercolours, drawings and prints.
However, while the gallery is temporarily closed, we are publishing our LISTS in
TWO HALVES of 51 pictures each, on the first and third Wednesdays of the month.
Usually, those of you who are on the doorstep of the gallery would get first go at the new stock, but while the Gallery is closed, we will take telephone orders (07780 006436) and emails (email@example.com) in strict order of receipt.
Images: These are intended as an indication of the work – please telephone or email if you have any questions about the photograph’s relationship to the original. We are always happy to send further photos – framed, versos, inscriptions, something to give scale – so please do ask. We reserve pictures for 48 hours while they are being considered.
Postage: Most works can be packed and posted, inland and abroad, and most UK postage is offered free for the time being. We can quote for sending works abroad.
Approval Service: We are happy to send works on approval, but this is subject to discussion.
RECEIVING EMAIL ALERTS
If you would like to receive email alerts when ‘Lists’ are published and Exhibitions are announced, please contact us with you full name, postal address (we send occasional cards and catalogues) and email address. We NEVER share you information – see our Personal Data Policy.