LIST 470 – JUNE 2017
1. LUDOVICI Albert Jnr (1852-1932) A fan dancer. Oil on canvas. Circa 1880. Signed. 7x5 inches. Original frame: 13.5x11.25 inches. £875.
2. CHARLTON George N.E.A.C. (1899-1979) Old Street: outside St Lukes’ Church. Oil on board. Circa 1924.Painted as the left-hand panel for a WWI Memorial Triptych. Provenance: Artist’s Studio (label verso). 23.5x10.5 inches. £1500.
3. BARKER Benjamin of Bath Jnr (1776-1838) Cottage near Chippenham. Oil on paper. Inscribed in pencil verso. Ex. Collection: L. G. Duke (D.28417). Exhibited: Cyril Fry. 8.5x6.5 inches. £675.
4. COLE John (1903-1975) ‘Halcyon Days / The Antique Shop, Avery Row’, behind Bond Street. Oil on panel. Signed. Inscribed verso. Exhibited: Fine Art Society. 12x16 inches. £2250.
5. DRING William R.A. (1904-1990) ‘Elizabeth’. Oil on board. Signed and dated, 1934 10x11.75 inches. Framed:17.75 x15.75 £375.
6. LINNELL John (1792-1882) Conversation by a stream. Oil on card. Signed verso. 6.5x11 inches. Framed: 8.25x13 inches. £1750.
7. TUNNICLIFFE Charles William R.A. (1901-1979) ‘The Fox’ Earth (or Lair). Oil on canvas. Circa 1945. Signed. Used by ‘Boot’s’ for an advertisement associating the precision of a countryman’s terms of description with that of the pharmacist. 30x25 inches. Framed: 37x32 inches. £10,000.
8. ROONEY Mick R.A. (b.1944) Strange Market. Oil on board. Signed and dated, 1989. 20.5x14 inches. Framed: 25x18.25 inches. £1500.
9. LYTTON Neville (1879-1951) (3rd Earl Lytton) Head of a young man. Oil on card. 11x9 inches. Framed: 16.25x14 inches. £875.
10. WELLINGTON Hubert (1879-1967) Bessy-sur-Cure, near Autumn’. Oil on canvas laid on card. Signed, inscribed and dated, 1928 verso. Exhibited: Hubert Wellington, Agnews, 1963, No.40. 10x13.5 inches. £675.
11. WILLIAMSON Harold (1898-1972) Head of a Girl Oil on panel. Circa 1935. Signed. 14x11. Framed: 19.5x16 inches. £2250.
12. WELLINGTON Hubert (1879-1967) ‘Dorset Stacks, Corfe’. Oil on panel. Inscribed and dated 1933 by artist verso. 8.75x10.75 inches. £975.
GENERAL WATERCOLOURS and DRAWINGS
13. ANGUS Peggy (1904-1993) Portrait of a woman. Pastels on tan paper. Signed and dated, 1935. 24x19.75 inches. Framed: 29.74x24.75 inches. £875.
14. APPERLEY Owen Wynne R.I. (1884- 1960) ‘The Junker’. Watercolour. Circa 1910. Provenance: A collection of the artist’s work at Phillip Auctioneers, 2.3.1987. 9.75x6.75 inches. Framed:17.5x14 inches. £300.
15. ANON. 1939. The flautist. Watercolour and gouache on tan paper. Signed ‘Reginald’ (Indistinct) and dated, 1939. 14.5x12 inches. Framed: 23.25x21 inches. £175.
16. ANON. Circa 1830. Beach life on the South Coast. Watercolour. Circa 1830. 6x9 inches. £750.
17. ANON. Circa 1790. Chichester Cross. Incorrectly inscribed ‘Malmsbury Cross. Wilts’. 7x10 inches. £450.
18. ‘ANTON’ (Beryl Yeoman 1907-1970) ‘I realise it’s official visiting time Mrs Chesterton, but I don’t think you quite understand’. Pen and ink for The Evening Standard, 8.2.1965. 4.75x6 inches. Framed: 10x11 inches. £650.
19. BATEMAN Henry Mayo (1887-1970) ‘The Man Who Coughed at The Darts Match’. Pen and ink. Signed. 10x13 inches. Framed: 21.25x19 inches. £3500.
20. BAUMER Lewis R.I. P.S. (1870-1963) ‘The Chintz Dress’. Pencil, watercolour and gouache. Circa 1925. Signed. 13x10 inches. Framed: 18x14.75 inches. £875.
21. AUSTIN Robert Sargent R.A. R.W.S. (1895-1973) In the Abruzzi. Charcoal. Signed and dated, 1926. 20x27 inches. £400.
22. BAYNES Keith (1887-1977) Bay in Portugal. Gouache. Signed. 14.5x21.25 inches. £350.
23. BEHRENS Tim (1937-2007) The artist’s model, and future wife. Pencil and watercolour. Circa 1965. 14x20 inches. £1100.
24. CLIFFORD Edward (1844-1907) ‘Felton. California’, painted from the train. Gouache. Inscribed and dated ’19.3.1889’. 5x7 inches. Framed: 13x14.5 inches. £175.
25. DRUMMOND Malcolm (1880-1945) Two figures. Pencil. Circa 1910. Provenance: Mark MacDonald. Bloomsbury Workshop. 5.75x5 inches. Framed: 14x12.5 inches. £1100.
26. ELDRIDGE Mildred Elsi R.W.S. (1901-1991) ‘Mole, Talpa europaea, 2.5 oz.’ Pencil and watercolour. Signed and inscribed. 10.75x8.5 inches. Framed: 18.5x15.75 inches. £575.
27. COLE Edward Sherrat (1817-1905) An Architectural caprice. Ink, watercolour and gouache. Circa 1845. 12x8.5 inches. £600.
28. COX David O.W.S. (1783-1859) Cottage by a pond. Watercolour. Signed and dated, 1810. 11.75x16.75 inches. £6250.
29. FEIBUSCH Hans (1898-1998) The Arch of Titus, Rome. Gouache. Signed and dated, 1948. 14.5x20.5 inches. Framed: 20.5x26.25 inches. £575.
30. FISHER Thomas F.S.A. (1772-1836) Bedfordshire. ‘Rise of the Fenbrook at Tottenhoe near Dunstaple, Bedfordshire’. Watercolour. Inscribed by the artist. Provenance: 62990 12x18.5 inches. £500.
31. GLASHAN John (1927-1999) ‘Design for a Millenium Tower…’. Ink and watercolour. Signed and inscribed. Commissioned by Punch, 1996. 12x10.25 inches. Framed: 23x20 inches. £500.
32. FROOD Hester (1882-1971) ‘The Little Waterfall’. Charcoal and watercolour. Signed. Signed, inscribed and dated, 1944. 8.5x11.25 inches. £300.
33. FLAXMAN John R.A. (1755-1826) Cloaked figure. Pencil. Possibly drawn in Rome, circa 1790. Exhibited: William Drummond, Covent Garden Gallery. 7.75x5 inches. Framed: 16x13 inches. £1500.
34. HAMNETT Nina (1890-1956) The Crystal Palace: Statue and Water Tower. Pen and ink. Signed and dated, 1927. 13x8 inches. £675.
35. GOROKHOVA Elena, Artist’s Union of St Petersburg, (1933-2014) Circus Act. Pencil and tempera. Signed. 8x11 inches. £300.
36. HALL Clifford (1904-1973) The view from the Wings. Pastels. Signed and dated, 1936. 18x12 inches. Framed: 26x19.75 inches. £600.
37. GOODWIN Albert R.W.S. (1845-1932) ‘A Sunset’. Watercolour. Signed and dated, 1891. 9.5x14 inches. Framed: 19.5x23.25 inches. £650.
38. HARRISON John Theodore (1914-2002) Moroccan interior. Ink and watercolour. Circa 1939. Signed. 15.5x20.75 inches. £275.
39. HASTINGS Edward (1781-1861) View of Durham Castle. Watercolour and gouache. Circa 1840. Ex. Collection: John Abbott. 17x23 inches. Framed: 25.5x31 inches. £2750.
40. HAYMAN Peter S.W.L.A. (b.1930) Scop’s Owl (Otus scops). Pencil and watercolour. Signed. Ill: Peter Hayman and Rob Hume, The Complete Guide to the Birdlife of Great Britain and Europe, Mitchell Beazley, 2001, p.168. 6x7 inches. Framed: 14x14.5 inches. £225.
41. HAYMAN Peter S.W.L.A. (b.1930) Tengmalm’s Owl (Aegolius funereus). Pencil and watercolour. Signed. Ill: Peter Hayman and Rob Hume, The Complete Guide to the Birdlife of Great Britain and Europe, Mitchell Beazley, 2001, p.169 6x7 inches. Framed: 14x14.5 inches. £225.
42. HAYMAN Peter S.W.L.A. (b.1930) Great Grey Owl (Strix nebulosi) Pencil and watercolour. Signed. Ill: Peter Hayman and Rob Hume, The Complete Guide to the Birdlife of Great Britain and Europe, Mitchell Beazley, 2001, p.170. 6x7 inches. Framed: 14x14.5 inches. £225.
43. HAYWARD Arthur Robert N.E.A.C. (1875-1971) ‘Venice’. Pencil and watercolour. Signed, inscribed and dated, 1963. 10.25x14.5 inches. Framed: 22x25 inches. £475.
44. HAYWARD John Samuel (1778-1822) Ireland: ‘In the grounds at Rosanna’, Co. Cork home of Mrs Tighe. Ink and watercolour. Signed, inscribed and dated, 1805. Exhibited: No.11, ‘John Samuel Hayward’, Andrew Wyld and John Manning, 1977. 6x11 inches. Framed: 13.25x18.25 inches. £650.
45. HAYES Claude R.I. (1852-1922) ‘Cutting Ice’. Watercolour and gouache. Circa 1890. Signed. 20.5x29 inches. Framed: 29x37 inches. £1500.
46. HILDER Rowland P.R.I. (1905-1993) An upland flock. Pen, brush, ink and gouache. Signed and dated, 1943. 9.5x7 inches. Framed: 15.5x13 inches. £575.
47. HILLS Robert O.W.S. (1769-1844) ‘A path through the wood’. Pencil and watercolour. Exhibited: Agnews (No.23570) 4.75x3.25 inches. £575.
48. HUBBUCK Rodney (b.1940) ‘Blighted Earth’. Pencil. 1965-67. Signed. Exhibited: Sackville Gallery. Langton Gallery. 16.75x14.75 inches. Framed: 25.25x22.75 inches. £475.
49. HERMAN Josef (1911-2000) Study of a seated Man. Ball point pen. 7.25x9.5 inches. Framed: 15.25x17 inches. £225.
50. HOUSTON George R.S.A. R.S.W. (1869-1947) Snow at Lynn Dalry, Ayrshire. Pastel. Signed. 8.5x11 inches. Frames: £875.
51. HOGARTH Paul R.A. (1917-2001) ‘Dublin’, the entrance to the castle. Pencil. Signed and inscribed. 16.5x21 inches. £675.
52. HURRY Leslie (1908-1978) Composition. Ink, watercolour and acrylic. Circa 1978. Authenticated and signed by John Armstrong, the artist’s nephew. 23x31 inches £975.
53. JAMIESON Peter (b.1945) ‘Happisburgh Beach, Norfolk’. Ink and watercolour. Signed and inscribed. 5.5x18.25 inches. Framed: 13x25.5 inches. £125.
54. HUNT Cecil Arthur V.P.R.W.S. (1873-1965) ‘Lake of Lucerne, near Axenstrasse’. Watercolour and gouache. Signed. Inscribed and dated, 1958, verso. Exhibited: Chris Beetles, Cecil Arthur Hunt, 1996, No.150. 10.5x14.5 inches. Framed: 19.5x23 inches. £750.
55. KEMENY Kalman (1896-1994) Seated man, Vienna. Chalk on sketchbook page. Circa 1917. Christies Kemeny Studio Sale Stamp verso. 8x5.5 inches. £125.
56. JOHNSON Harry John (1826-1884) The Gorge at Ronda. Pencil, ink and watercolour heightened with gouache on blue/grey paper. Inscribed. Studio stamp. Exhibited: Spink (K3 8773) 16x8 inches. Framed: 24x15.5 inches. £775.
57. KNOX George James (1810-1897) ‘Old buildings, Abbeville. Watercolour and gouache. Inscribed verso. 6.25x4.75 inches. Framed: 13x11 inches. £225.
58. LEETE Alfred (1882-1933) Schmidt the Spy: ‘S-O-S’. Pen and ink for ‘London Opinion’. Signed. With caption. Dated stamped 24 April 1915 verso. Ill: p.61 ‘Schmidt the Spy and his messages to Berlin’, Alfred Leete, Duckworth, 1916. 11x12.5 inches. £350.
59. KEMPSTER William (1914-1976) ‘Man and Birds II’. Graphite, watercolour and gouache. Circa 1955. 19x21 inches. £575.
60. LAING James Garden (1852-1915) ‘Bristol at dusk’. Ink and watercolour. Signed and inscribed. Exhibited: Venice International Exhibition, 1912. 21x27 inches. £675.
61. LUDOVICI Albert Jnr (1852-1932) The Palace of Westminster. Gouache. Signed. Circa 1890. 7x10 inches. Framed: 11x14 inches. £675.
62. LUTTRINGSHAUSSEN Johan Heinrich (1783-1857) Portugal: a view of Lisbon. Ink and watercolour with gum arabic. Circa 1810. Exhibited: Parker Gallery. 7.75x11.5 inches. £1750.
63. MALET Guy Seymour Warre (1900-1973) Landscape near Leamington Spa. Watercolour. Studio Stamp. Circa 1938. 12x19 inches. £375.
64. MARKS Grete Heyman Loebenstein (1899-1990) A Croatian Port. Ink and watercolour. Circa 1935. Provenance: Artist’s Estate. 12.5x17.5 inches. Framed: 18.5x23 inches. £800.
65. MCGILL Donald (1875-1962) ‘Sorry Lady, ‘aven’t got a fillet steak this morning, but I’ve got a beautiful rump’. Pen, ink and gouache. Signed, inscribed verso. 7x5.5 inches. Framed: 16.75x12.75 inches. £575.
66. MINTON John (1917-1957) Boys head, and other studies. Pencil. Circa 1950. 7.5x11.5 inches. £375.
67. MORLEY Harry A.R.A. (1881-1943) ‘Anticoli Carrado’. Ink and watercolour.1927. Signed. 9x12.25 inches. Framed: 17x19.5 inches. £575.
68. MULLER William James (1812-1845) ‘Greenwich Park’. Watercolour on folded paper. Signed, inscribed and dated, 1840. 15.25x13 inches. £600.
69. MUNN Paul Sandby (1773-1845) ‘At Dolgelly – Merionethshire’ Watercolour. Signed and dated, 1804. Inscribed and signed by the artist verso of the original backing. 8.5x12.75 inches. £475.
70. PITCHFORTH Roland Vivian R.A. (1895-1982) Riverside camp. Watercolour. Signed. Provenance: Artist’s Estate. 13.5x20.5 inches. £375.
71. POWELL Joseph P.N.W.S. (1780-1834) Surrey, ‘Near Esher’. Watercolour. Signed and dated, 1822. 5x7.75 inches. Framed: 13.25x15.25 inches. £250.
72. PROUT Margaret Fisher A.R.A. R.W.S. (1875-1963) Cart shed in a summer landscape. Watercolour. Provenance: Artist’s Estate. 8.5x12 inches. Framed: 16.5x19.5 inches. £150.
73. ‘QUIZ’ (Powys Evans 1899-1981) ‘Leon’. Pen and ink. Circa 1925. Indistinctly inscribed and ?signed beneath the mount. 10x8 inches. £175.
74. RICHMOND George (1809-1896) Portrait study of a Man. Pencil. Circa 1850. 7.5x5.25 inches. £175.
75. ORPEN Sir William R.A. R.H.A. (1878-1931) Seated Woman. Red chalk. From a sketchbook used by Orpen c.1900. Exhibited: No.33. Neptune Gallery, Dublin, 1971 (Witt Library photo, Open folio no.181) Pyms Gallery. Ex. Collection: Mr and Mrs George Walker. 8.75x6.75 inches. Framed 19x16 inches. £3500.
76. RUTLAND (Grandby) Violet (1856-1937) Standing woman, possibly a Self-study at the easel. Pencil. Provenance: a group of studies by James Jebusa Shannon and Violet Grandby c.1895 by descent from the Shannon family. 11x6 inches. £575.
77. ROBERSON Peter (1907-1989) The Retiro Gardens, Madrid. Watercolour. Circa 1960. Signed. 13.75x10.5 inches. £225.
78. ROTHENSTEIN Sir William N.E.A.C. (1872-1945) ‘Claude Arthur Kirby at Portcullis House’. Red and white chalks. Signed and dated, 1940. Backing inscribed. 17x11.75 inches. Framed:24.5x18.5 inches. £575.
79. ROWLANDSON Thomas (1756-1827) The vegetable seller. Pen, brush and ink. Later inscribed. 5x6.25 inches. £2250.
80. RUSHBURY Sir Henry R.A. R.E. (1889-1968) Venice. San Giorgio from the Riva Schiavoni. Pencil and watercolour. Signed and dated, 1931. 12x14.75 inches. £2250.
81. SAMUELSON Peter (1912-1996) The tea table. Pen and ink. Circa 1955. Provenance: Artist’s Estate. 9x11 inches. £225.
82. SANDBY Paul R.A.(1731-1809) ‘Langollin (sic) in the County of Denbigh from the Turnpike Road above the River Dee’. Watercolour and gouache on paper laid in a mahogany panel. Related to although different from a 1776 print of this title. Inscribed in a contemporary hand verso of panel. Colnaghi label citing as Ex. Collections ‘W. Angerstein / Mrs Norman/ D.M. Eccles Esq’. Label inscribed ‘Landscape by Sandby / No.3 / for Mrs Norman (indecipherable signature) / 22nd August 1843’. Exhibited: Arts Council of Great Britain, Watercolour and Drawings from the Bradfer-Lawrence Collection, 1953, No.36. Loaned by Mr Harry Bradfer-Lawrence (1887-1965). 18.5x24.5 inches. Framed: 25.25x30.5 inches £6750.
Please contact us for more information
83. SPARE Austin Osman (1886-1956) ‘Mountains of the Moon’. Pastels. Signed and dated, 1955. Inscribed verso ‘Mountains of the Moon’ No.183 / By Austin Osman Spare 1888-1956 / Owned by Ernest Chapman / Owner of the Four O’Donnell Pearls’. 23.5x19 inches. Framed: 30x27 inches. £3000
84. SAWANATEE Thongsuk (b.1963) ‘Market at Jaipur’. Watercolour. Signed. 14x19.5 inches. Framed: 21.5x27 inches. £675.
85. SCHWARZ Hans R.W.S. (1922-2003) The City, from Greenwich. Watercolour. Signed and dated, 1985. 22x30 inches. £475.
86. SCHWARZ Hans R.W.S. (1922-2003) Self-Portrait at 76 years. Watercolour. Signed and dated, 19.11.98. 30x22 inches. £675.
87. SCHWARZ Hans R.W.S. (1922-2003) ‘Promenade, Brighton’. Watercolour. Signed. 22x30 inches. £475.
88. SICKERT Walter Richard (1860-1942) ‘Baccarat’. Pencil Circa 1920. Signed and inscribed. 8x7.75 inches. Framed: 15.5x15 inches. £2000.
89. SERGEANT John (1937-2010) ‘Garden House – Castle Coole’. Watercolour. Signed, inscribed and dated, 1987. 9.25x12.75 inches. Framed: 11.25x14.75 inches. £475.
90. TOPOLSKI Feliks R.A. (1907-1989) ‘Fire Bomb’– a record of the fire bomb which fell in the garden of the artist’s home, 3a Warwick Avenue W2, the during the Blitz. Pen, brush and ink. Signed and dated, 1940. 13.5x10.75 inches. £1500.
91. LAMBOURNE Nigel R.E. (1919-1988) ‘Bather’. Wood engraving. Signed, inscribed, editioned 2/12 and dated 1955. 18x13 inches. £275.
92. LEE-HANKEY William R.W.S. R.E. (1869-1952) ‘Sur le terrain’. Etching. Signed. Inscribed. 17.5x21.5 inches. £675.
93. MANET Edouard (1832-1883) ‘Portrait Charles Baudelaire, de face’ (Harris.61iv) (Guerin.38iv). Etching on laid paper. Dated 1865. Printed by A Salmon 1869. 3.5x3 inches. £475.
94. MCNAB Allan (1901-1982) ‘Scylla, Straits of Messina’. Engraving. Signed, inscribed ‘State Proof’, dated, 1926, and inscribed. 14.25x14 inches. £775.
95. McNAB Allan (901-1982) ‘La Condamine, Monte Carlo’. Engraving. Signed, editioned 34/75, dated, 1927 and inscribed. 12.5x15 inches. £775.
96. NORDFELDT Bror Julius Olsson (1878-1955) ‘Wave, Moonrise’. Woodcut printed in colours. Signed and dated, 1906. With repair. 9.25x11 inches. £975.
97. PATERSON Viola (1899-1981) ‘Circus’. Lithograph. Signed and editioned, 4/12. 10.75x14.75 inches. Framed: 19.5x22.5 inches. £350.
98. POLLITZER Arthur Sigmund (1913-1983) Seated boy. Wax resist on watercolour ground. Signed and dated, 6.12.1948. Exhibited: Hanover Gallery. 17x22 inches. Framed: 27x22 inches. £475.
99. SOPER Eileen (1905-1990) ‘Spring Tide’. Etching. 1929. Signed. £375.
100. TUNNICLIFFE Charles Frederick R.A. (1901-1979) The Night Owl. Wood engraving printed in an edition of 20 by the Artichoke Press for Abbott and Holder Ltd. Abbott and Holder Edition Stamp. 6.5x4 inches. £75.
101. TUNNICLIFFE Charles Frederick R.A. (1901-1979) A Peregrine Falcon Wood engraving printed in an edition of 20 by the Artichoke Press for Abbott and Holder Ltd. Abbott and Holder Edition Stamp. 7.5x5 inches. £75.
102. TUNNICLIFFE Charles Frederick R.A. (1901-1979) Otter and Bather. Wood engraving printed in an edition of 20 by the Artichoke Press for Abbott and Holder Ltd. Abbott and Holder Edition Stamp. 5.5x3.5 inches. £75.
HOW THE LIST WORKS
Our Lists are published here on the first Wednesday of every month. They introduce at least 100 works to the large stock of oil paintings, watercolours, drawings and prints, arranged over three floors at our Museum Street building.
An email alert and link to the new List is sent to those who have asked to receive it on the preceding Tuesday evening. However, nothing is sold from The List before 9.30am on the Wednesday. Those of you who are on the doorstep get first go at the new stock, and while we try to keep telephone and email inquiries in strict order of receipt, there will be times when technological overlaps muddy the system.
Images: These are only intended as an indication of the work – please telephone or email if you have any questions about the photograph’s relationship to the original. We reserve pictures for 24 hours while they are being considered. For larger images or to make reservations please email.
Postage: Most works can be packed and posted, inland and abroad. Do ask and we can give you a quote.