LIST 439 – AUGUST 2014
1. BOWYER William R.A. (b.1926) View off Aldeburgh beach. Oil on linen laid on board. Signed and dated, 1988. 12x9 inches. Framed: 18x15 inches. £875.
2. BELL Vanessa (1879-1961) ‘Cinderella puts on the shoe’. Oil on paper laid on card. Inscribed by the artist verso. A study for the mural scheme Bell painted for the children’s restaurant at the Devonshire Hill School, Tottenham, in 1944 (since lost). Exh: British Institute of Adult Education, London. The Belgrave Gallery. 20x33.5 inches. In the original frame hand painted by Bell. £4500.
3. DUNSTAN Bernard R.A. (b.1920) ‘Mentone’. Oil on card. Exhibited: Roland, Browse & Delbanco. Ex. Coll: Alvide Lees-Milne. 8x5 inches. Framed: 12.5x9.5 inches. £1250.
4. BARROW Julian (1939-2003) ‘Il Redentore’, Venice. Oil on canvas. Signed. Ex. Coll: James Lees-Milne. 6x8 inches. Framed: 10x11.5 inches. £975.
5. DUNSTAN Bernard R.A. (b.1920) Wales. ‘Llwyngwril –the beach’. Oil on card. Circa 1960. Signed. Exh: New English Art Club. 11.75x24 inches. £2500.
6. CALOUTSIS Valerios (b.1927) Landscape. Oil on canvas. Signed and dated, 1958. Inscribed verso ‘Paris 1958’. 23.5x28.5 inches. Framed: 24.5x29.5 inches. £2250.
7. GIBBS Evelyn (1905-1991) Landscape. Oil on card. Signed and dated, 1950. 12x16.5 inches. Framed: 18.5x22 inches. £675.
8. LARCHER Dorothy (1882-1952) ‘Phacelia’. Oil (or gouache?) on card. Signed and dated, 1942. One of 40 flower paintings made between the beginning of the War and her death. 18x14 inches. Framed: 25x21.5 inches. £1250.
9. HITCHCOCK Malcolm (1929-1998) The trolley bus: ‘Autumn day at the Yaucht (sic) Club’. Oil on canvas laid on board. Signed. Inscribed verso. 5x7 inches. Framed: 8.5x10.5 inches. £375.
10. MYNOTT Derek N.E.A.C. (1926-1994) Sunrise over the lagoon, Venice. Oil on canvas. Signed. 19.5x24 inches. Framed: 25.5x30 inches. £1100.
11. MICHONZE Gregoire (1902-1982) The Farmyard. Oil on canvas. Signed and dated, 1960. 10x18 inches. Framed: 15x22 inches. £2250.
12. SMITH Ronald R.S.W. R.G.I. (b.1946) ‘Mediterranean Harbour’. Oil on canvas. Signed. 32x40 inches. Framed: 39x47 inches. £2500.
13. TOOTH Ann Margaret (1912-1989) ‘Kilronan, Aran Islands’. Oil on board. Signed and dated, 1969. 23.75x16.25 inches. Framed: 21.5x19 inches. £500.
14. SOER Chris (1882-1962) View from Wetstraat towards Eglise St Marie, Brussels. Oil on canvas. Signed. 9.75x7 inches. Framed: 14x11 inches. £475.
15. TOWNSEND William (1909-1973) St Pauls from the North-West after the War. Oil on canvas. Circa 1945. Signed. 14x18 inches. Framed: 21x25 inches. £1750.
GENERAL WATERCOLOURS AND DRAWINGS
16. ADAMS Christian (b.1966) At the School Gates. Pen, brush and ink. Signed. For the Daily Telegraph 16.3.2014. 8.5x12.5 inches. £375.
17. ANQUETIN Louis (1861-1932) ‘Aux Courses’. Pen and ink on the reverse of an invitation to the wedding of Judith Schwart and Lionel Nunes, 22nd December, 1898. Partial Atelier Stamp verso. Exh: Anthony D’Offay Fine Art, from the collection of the artist’s grand-daughter. Purchased by Dudley Snelgrove. 6.5x7.5 inches. Framed: 15x14.5 inches. £1750.
19. BURY Adrian R.W.S. (1891-1991) ‘Marie Fell / after Quentin de la Tour’. Pastels. Signed and inscribed. 11.75x9.5 inches. Framed: 21x19.75 inches. £375.
20. BEATON Cecil C.B.E. (1904-1980) ‘Memory’; design for a fan panel. Watercolour. Circa 1912. Signed. Prov: Eileen Hose (Beaton’s Secretary). Exh: ‘Cecil Beaton, Barbican Art Gallery, No.A39. Exh: Michael Parkin Gallery. 12x9 inches. £375.
21. BINDER Pearl (1904-1990) Head of a girl. Pastel and charcoal. Circa 1930. Prov: a collection of work by the artist, Christies, 7.10.1992. 19.5x15.5 inches. £300.
22. BARNARD Rev. William Henry (1769-1818) Poplars and Cottages; a Malchairian study. Pencil, brush and grey washes. Circa 1795. 7x8 inches. £95.
23. BOYS Thomas Shotter R.I. (1803-1874) River sketch. Pencil and watercolour. Circa 1830. Exh: Agnews. 5x8 inches. Framed: 12.5x15 inches. £675.
24. BROWNE Kathleen (1905-2007) (Mrs Marian Krotochwil) Artist at work. Brush and ink. Circa 1935. Signed. 12x15.75 inches. £375.
25. CHARLES James (1851-1906) Figure studies. Pencil. Signed / Studio stamp. Exh: Fine Art Society, 1968. 8.25x10.25 inches. Framed: 16x17 inches. £475.
26. CLARKE HALL Edna (1879-1979) ‘Self-Study’ at Great House. Upminster Common. Pencil and watercolour. Circa 1905. Prov: Denis Clarke Hall. 13.5x10.25 inches. £575.
27. CONDER Charles N.E.A.C. (1868-1909) A bath house. Red chalk on blue/grey textured paper. 9.5x7.75 inches. £975.
28. COTMAN John Sell (1782-1842) Tower Castle. Pencil on tan paper. Signed with initial and indistinctly dated, May, 18?17. 7.25x10.75 inches. £775.
29. COTMAN John Sell (1782-1842) ‘Doorway, Buildwas Abbey, Shropshire’. Pencil. Inscribed beneath mount 9x7.5 inches. £2250.
31. CRISTALL Joshua P.O.W.S. (1767-1847) Harvest Scene. Watercolour. Circa 1820. 19.25x26.25 inches. Framed: 28x34.5 inches. £1750.
32. DROIT Jean (1884-1961) Une Parisienne. Pencil and watercolour. Circa 1935. Signed. 6.5x4.5 inches. Framed: 9x7 inches. £375.
33. GARLAND Nicholas (b.1935) ‘The Beira Tapestry’, Lord Bingham’s Report causes Harold Wilson some discomfort. Pen, ink and crayon for the Daily Telegraph, 1978. Signed. 11x14.75 inches. £300.
34. EVANS Powys (‘Quiz’) (1899-1981) A pundit. Ink and watercolour. Circa 1925. 11.5x8.5 inches. £225.
35. FRASER Eric (1902-1983) A Winter Coat. Pen and ink, heightened with white, for Harpers Bazaar. Circa 1933. Exh: Paul Liss, 1999. 8.5x4.5 inches. Framed: 15.5x11.5 inches. £675.
36. DOWNMAN John A.R.A. (1750-1824) ‘Mrs FitzGerald from Ireland / Fancy Dress’. Watercolour. Signed, inscribed and dated, 1807, on the original backing. 10.5x8 inches. Framed: 18x15.25 inches. £1900.
37. GOROKHOVA Elena (Russian b.1933) Circus Act. Pencil and tempera. Signed. 7.5x11 inches. £300.
38. GRANT Duncan L.G. (1885-1978) Sleeping figure. Pencil and ink. Signed and dated, February 1948. 17x21.75 inches. Framed: 23.5x28 inches. £950.
39. HARDY James Jnr R.I. (1832-1889) A gypsy camp. Watercolour and gum arabic. Inscribed on the backing. 6x8.5 inches (oval). £225.
40. HURRY Leslie (1909-1978) A Theatrical Drama. Pen, ink and watercolour. Signed and dated, 1950. 21x29 inches. Framed: 31x38.5 inches. £1800.
41. HUNT William Henry (Circle of) The schoolboy. Watercolour. Circa 1850. 13.75x9.75 inches. £975.
42. JACKSON Samuel Phillips (1830-1904) Beached fishing boat. Watercolour and gouache. Signed and dated, 1853. 5.25x8 inches. £675.
43. KRAMER Jacob (1892-1962) ‘Rita’. Ink, crayon and gouache on blue/grey paper. Circa 1935. Signed and inscribed. 14x12.5 inches. £475.
44. LAPORTE John (1761-1839) Landscape, possibly in the Lakes. Gouache. Circa 1790. 9.75x14 inches. £1300.
45. LESSORE Emile (1805-1876) Mother and Child. Watercolour. Circa 1850. Signed. 5.25x5.5 inches. £375.
46. METHUEN Paul R.A. (1886-1954) ‘The Convoy, on Ship 242 / between Isle of Wight and Calvados’. Pencil and watercolour. 1944. Inscribed by the artist. 12x16.5 inches. £475.
47. MIDDLETON John (1828-1856) Woodland clearing. Watercolour. Circa 1845. 12.5x18.5 inches. £2250.
48. MIDDLETON John (1828-1956) River study, possibly near Ivybridge, Devon. Pencil. Circa 1845. 14x20.5 inches. £750.
49. ROBEY Sir George (1869-1945) Self-portrait. Pen and ink and ink. Signed and inscribed. 10.25x7.5 inches. Framed: 11x8 inches. £225.
50. MUSSILL William (1828-1906) Nine Plant Studies by an artist who worked for MInton. Click here to view
51. OVENDEN Graham (b.1943) ‘It remained while I refilled the grave, and led me home…’ (Heathcliff). Pencil. Signed and dated, 1980. Exh: Piccadilly Gallery. Galerie XX, Hamburg. 9x7 inches. Framed: 14.5x12 inches. £975.
52. SEARLE Ronald C.B.E. (1920-2011) ‘Full credit shall be given for every shot that can be distinctly seen …’. Pen and ink. Inscribed by the artist. Drawn for an ICI/Kynoch Division shotgun cartridge advertisement. Circa 1960. 8x9.5 inches. £2750.
53. SHEFFIELD George (1839-1892) River landscape. Charcoal. Signed and dated, 1892. 13.5x20 inches. £275.
54. MURRAY Charles (1894-1954) ‘The Gondola’. Watercolour and pastel. Signed and inscribed. 11.75x18.5 inches. £575.
55. SHELDON H. Harry (1917-2002) Advancing under fire. Ink, watercolour and gouache. Signed and dated, 1942. 24.5x33 inches. Framed: 34x42 inches. £875.
56. SMITH John Raphael (1752-1812) ‘Mr Thomas Wormold’. Pastels. Inscribed verso and dated, March 1808. 9.5x8 inches. Framed: 17x15.5 inches. £775.
57. SILLINCE William (1906-1974) ‘So I’m giving you this ticket for ‘Cinderella’, but don’t be late home’. Pencil for Punch, 11th January, 1939. 7.5x10.5 inches. Framed: 16x17.5 inches. £300.
58. SPRINGS John (b.1962) ‘Shaw and Holroyd’. Black and coloured inks. Signed. Inscribed verso: ‘Times / Saturday Review’. 13.5x11.5 inches. £875.
59. SPRINGS John (b.1962) ‘Aubrey Beardsley’. Black and coloured inks. Signed. Inscribed ‘Unpublished c.2000’. 10.5x7.75 inches. £575.
60. SPRINGS John (b.1962) ‘Max Beerbohm’. Black and coloured inks. Signed. Inscribed ‘unpublished’. 12.5x9 inches. £575.
61. VAUGHAN Keith (1912-1977) ‘Felled Trees’. Pencil. 1941. Studio Stamp. Ex. Coll: John Ball. 5x6.5 inches. Framed: 14.25x15.5 inches. £850.
62. VAUGHAN Keith (1912-1977) 'Persiphae'. Pencil. Studio Stamped. 10.5x7 inches. Framed: 17x13 inches. £1,200.
63. VAUGHAN Keith (1912-1977) Landscape, Berwickshire. Pen, brush and ink. 1952. Studio Stamp. Ex. Coll: John Ball. 5x6.5 inches. Framed: 14.25x15.5 inches. £875.
WATERCOLOURS AND DRAWINGS OF PARTICULAR PLACES
64. DEVON (Subject) ANON. Circa 1800. ‘At Northam’. Watercolour. Inscribed verso. Ex. Coll: Sir Bruce Ingram. 5.75x9 inches. £775.
65. MONRO SCHOOL Anon. Circa 1800. A West Country Port. Pencil on joined sketchbook pages. Initialled ‘(?T).S’ or ‘(?J).S’. 10.5x28.5 inches. Framed: 19x36 inches. £775.
66. BALMER Derek P.P.R.W.A. (b.1934) ‘Mallorcan Winter II’ Watercolour and gouache. Signed and dated, 2002. 11x15 inches. Framed: 20.25x24 inches. £850.
67. SCOTLAND (Subject) Anon. Circa 1820. Elgin Cathedral. Pen and sepia ink. 3.5x2.25 inches. Framed: 12x10 inches. £95.
68. CASSON Sir Hugh P.R.A. C.H. (1910-1999) Germany. ‘The Stables at Schloss Vourad’ (sic) Vollrads. Ink and watercolour. Signed and inscribed. 5.5x3 inches. Framed: 16x12.5 inches. £350.
69. BAYNES Anthony (1921-2003) Looking out to sea, Hydra. The artist had a house on the Greek Island. Gouache. Circa 1954. Prov: Artist’s Estate. 10.5x8.75 inches. £150.
70. GREECE (Subject) ANON. Circa 1780. Athens: the base of the Acropolis, with the two columns from the original Parthenon. Watercolour on torn paper. 11x16 inches. £675.
71. BIRCH Samuel John Lamorna R.A. R.W.S. (1869-1955) Cornwall. ‘The distant Wolf from Carne Bargis’. Pencil. Signed and inscribed. 9x11.25 inches. £975.
72. CAUSER Sidney R.I. S.M.A. (1876-1958) London. ‘Newton Road’, Notting Hill. Pencil and watercolour. Signed, inscribed and dated, January 1948. 11x15 inches. £875.
73. EYTON Anthony R.A. (b.1923) ‘Waterloo Bridge looking down stream’. Pastel on tan paper. 18x23 inches. Framed: 29x34 inches. £875.
74. HELY-HUTCHINSON Nicholas (b.1955) ‘Figure in a Moroccan Interior’. Gouache and watercolour on blue paper. Signed. Exh: Montpelier Gallery. 21x29 inches. Framed: 29x37 inches. £1250.
75. HOARE Sir Richard Colt (1758-1838) A Priory. Pen, brush and ink. Inscribed verso. Prov: a group of Hoare’s drawings with A and H in the 1960s. 14.5x21 inches. £575.
76. HOWARD-JONES Ray (1903-1996) ‘The Backs, Cambridge’. Watercolour and chalk, heightened with white. Circa 1935. Signed. 13.25x17.75. Framed: 22x26.5 inches. £600.
77. INCE Joseph Murray (1806-1859) ‘Harrow - on - the - Hill’. Watercolour. Signed and dated, 1830. 12x16 inches. £975.
78. KRATSCHKOFF Dimitri (Bulgarian 20th century) Garden steps at Tivoli. Pencil. Signed and dated, 1928. Prov: Pearl Binder (Lady Selwyn Jones) 11x13 inches. £225.
79. LEAR Edward (1812-1888) Egypt; 'On the Road by the Nile, Sunset'. Watercolour. Mono grammed by the artist. 6x10 inches. Framed: 13x17.5inches. £14,000.
80. LEITCH William Leighton P.R.I. (1804-1883) In the Highlands. Watercolour. Circa 1860. 9.25x13 inches. £325.
81. MANSKIRCH Franz Joseph (1770-1827) View, possibly on the River Wye. Watercolour. Circa 1800. 9.5x14 inches. £225.
82. METHUEN Paul R.A. (1886-1954) Gloucestershire. ‘Dodington Park’. Ink and watercolour. Signed, inscribed and dated, 25th May 1951. 11.75x16.75 inches. £375.
83. MOSS Colin (1914-2005) Suffolk. ‘Ipswich Docks’. Pencil. Prov: Artist’s Estate. 14x21 inches. Framed: 24.5x32.25 inches. £325.
84. PAINE James II (1756-1801) ‘Restoration of the Porta Maggiore, Rome, as I believe it to have existed after the alterations by Titus’. Pencil, ink and watercolour. Inscribed and signed. Note: Damaged and fragile. 10.5x16 inches. £500.
85. PAYNE William (1760-1830) ‘Slate Quarry at Crabtree’. Watercolour over etched line. 6x8 inches. £150.
86. SCHWARTZ Hans N.E.A.C. R.W.S. (1922-2003) Somerset; the cliffs at Watchett. Watercolour. Signed. 21x30 inches. Framed: 27.5x36 inches. £600.
87. STORER James Sargant (1771-1853) ‘High Street, Bristol’. Pencil, pen and sepia wash. Exh: Spink. 4x6.25 inches. Framed: 12.5x14 inches. £175.
88. WHITE Ethelbert N.E.A.C. R.W.S. (1891-1972) Suffolk / Essex. ‘On the Stour, Dedham’. Watercolour. Signed. Inscribed on the original mount. Exh: Redfern Gallery, 1935. 11x14 inches. Framed: 20.5x25.5 inches. £1200.
89. WILLIAMS Sir Kyffin R.A. (1918-2006) Mountains, Wales. Pen, brush and Indian ink. Signed. 11.5x17.25 inches. £3750.
90. WOLSELEY Garnet Ruskin (1884-1967) Cornwall: ‘Off Newlyn’. Watercolour and gouache. Circa 1910. Signed. 9x11.5 inches. £475.
91. MULLARD James (1868-c.1950) London. ‘Liverpool Street’. Pastel on grey paper. Circa 1900. Signed. 16x11 inches. Framed: 24x18.5 inches. £675.
92. SHEPHERD George Sidney (1782-1862) London ‘The house in Cock Lane…’. Pen and sepia ink. Signed. 5.25x3 inches. £275.
93. YARROW-JONES Ernest (1872-1951) Brittany. The Chapelle Neuve, Loquirec. Watercolour. Circa 1920. Signed. Prov: the estate of the artist’s daughter. 12x9 inches. £225.
94. BRANGWYN Sir Frank R.A. R.W.S. (1867-1956) The Barge. Etching. Signed. 14x14.75 inches. £475.
95. BRAMMER Leonard Griffiths (1906-1994) ‘The Sytch, Burslem’. Etching. Signed. 6x8.25 inches. £525.
96. GUTHRIE James J. (1874-1952) ‘Clouds’. Etching. Signed and inscribed beneath the mount. 7x5.75 inches. £275.
97. JOHN Augustus O.M. R.A. (1878-1961) ‘Girl’s Head’ (CD.56). Etching. Signed. Editioned beneath the mount 25/25. 3x2.5 inches. £1200.
98. JOHN Augustus O.M. R.A. (1878-1961) Dorelia – The Girl with the Curl. Etching. 1906. Signed. Editioned beneath the mount 19/25. 5x4 inches. £3000.
99. JOHN Augustus O.M. R.A. (1878-1961) Self-portrait. Etching. 1901. Signed. Editioned beneath mount 14/25. 3x3 inches. £3750.
100. LEIGHTON Clare (1898-1989) ‘Limbing’. Wood engraving. Signed, inscribed and editioned 59/100. 8.5x12 inches. £2750.
101. MURRAY Charles (1894-1954) The Cave. Etching and aquatint. Signed. 9x14 inches. £350.
102. ‘RAOKIN’ (HAWKINS Harold Weaver 1893-1977) ‘Maltese Market’. Linocut. Signed and inscribed. 5.5x7 inches. £1,200.
103. HODGKIN Sir Howard C.H. (b.1932) ‘Swimming’. Screenprint on Somerset wove. 2011. Signed, dated and editioned ‘A.P.14/35’. Printed by King and McGaw and published by Counter Editions in an edition of 350 for the Olympic Games. 29.75x23.25 inches. £2,500.
104. WYLLIE William Lionel R.A. (1851-1931) ‘Aberdeen, Where the Don meets the Dee’. Etching. Signed. 6.25x14.75 inches. £475.
105. ROSENBERG Louis Conrad (1890-1983) ‘Beaune’. Etching. Signed. 9x5 inches. £150.
Our Lists are published here on the first Wednesday of every month. They introduce at least 100 works to the large stock of oil paintings, watercolours, drawings and prints, arranged over three floors at our Museum Street building.
Nothing is sold from the List before 9.30am on the Wednesday it is published. Those of you who are on the doorstep get first go at the new stock, and while we try to keep telephone and email enquiries in strict order of receipt, there will be times when technological overlaps muddy the system.
Images: These are only intended as an indication of the work – please telephone or email if you have any questions about the photograph’s relationship to the original. We reserve pictures for 24 hours while they are being considered. For larger images or to make reservations email email@example.com
Attributions: are fully guaranteed; don’t hesitate to question us about them. Money back AND a box of Black Magic should you buy something and discover we are wrong.