EXHIBITION OF TWENTIETH CENTURY
WATERCOLOURS AND DRAWINGS 2014
1. ALLINSON Adrian R.O.I. L.G. (1890-1959) Study for 'Spring in St Paul', St Paul de Vence (Oil). Pencil. Circa 1925. Exhibited: The Fine Arts Society. 12.5x17.5 inches. Framed: 20x25 inches. £1350
2. ARDIZZONE Edward R.A. (1900-1980)
‘Three Girls By The Beach Huts’.
Ink and watercolour. Signed. Inscribed by the artist verso. Exhibited: Mayor Gallery.
7.25x11 inches. Framed: 17x20 inches.
3. BEVAN Robert (1865-1925)
In the Blackdown Hills.
Charcoal on tan paper. Circa 1914. Studio stamp.
4. BOMBERG David L.G. N.S. (1890-1957) Imaginative Comp- osition: Bargee. Pencil and gouache. 1919-1922. One of the series inspired by the artist’s wartime experience in Flanders. Ex. Coll: the artist’s wife. 17x22.5 inches. Framed: 30x36 inches. £5750
5. BELL Robert Anning R.A. N.E.A.C. (1863-1933) ‘The Women Stood Afar Off Beholding These Things’. Pastel study for the oil painting in the Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool. 1920. Ex. Collection: Gerald Moira. 17.5x11 inches. Framed: 27x20 inches. £1500
6. BELL Vanessa L.G. (1879 - 1961)
Still-life. Watercolour. Signed.
11.5x7 inches. Framed: 18x14 inches.
7. BISSILL George (1896 - 1937)
‘Miners wringing coal’.
Ink and watercolour. Circa 1920. Signed. Inscribed verso.
11x15 inches. Framed: 18.5x22 inches.
8. AUSTIN Robert Sargent R.A. P.R.W.S. (1895-1973)
9x8 inches. Framed: 17x15 inches.
9. BONE Sir Muirhead N.E.A.C. (1876-1953) ‘Dawn, Newgate Prison’. Pencil. Signed and inscribed. Newgate Prison was demolished in 1904. 9x13 inches. Framed: 17x20 inches.
10. BRANGWYN Sir Frank R.A. R.W.S. (1867-1956)
‘The Tree, Ditchling’.
Watercolour. Signed. Exhibited: Fine Art Society.
15x16 inches. Framed: 22x23 inches.
11. CARRINGTON Dora (1893 - 1932) Bearded Man. Pencil. Exhibited: Grosvenor Gallery, 1970. ‘Lytton Strachey and Carrington’, The Bloomsbury Workshop, 1989. 8.5x8 inches. Framed: 15.5x14.5 inches.
12. BROWN John Arnesby R.A. (1866-1955)
Pencil and watercolour. Signed.
11x13.5 inches. Framed: 18x21 inches.
13. CASSON Sir Hugh P.R.A. (1910-1999) ‘The Magic Flute’. Pen, ink, watercolour and gouache set designs on one page. Inscribed by the artist. 19x16 inches. Framed: 26x22 inches. £2500
14. CARLINE Sydney William L.G. (1888-1929)
Red chalks. Signed and dated, 1923.
19.75x17.5 inches. Framed: 29.5x27 inches.
15. COLLINS Cecil (1908 - 1989)
Gouache. Signed and dated, 1957. Inscribed verso.
11.25x8.75 inches. Framed: 18.5x16 inches.
16. COWLES Fleur Fenton (1908-2009)
American Farm. Watercolour and gouache. Signed ‘Fleur Fenton Pettingell’, and dated, 1941. Exhibited: Associated American Artists, 711 5th Avenue, New York.
14.5x24 inches. Framed: original 22x32 inches.
17. DAVIE Alan (1920-2014)
‘Wheel Chair No.2’.
Watercolour. Signed, inscribed and dated, January 1980. Exhibited: No.24, ‘Alan Davie’, Gimpel Fils, April 1981.
8.25x11.5 inches. Framed: 9x12 inches.
18. DISMORR Jessica (1885 - 1939)
‘Josie Heather sings a song’.
Pencil and watercolour. Inscribed by the artist beneath the mount. Exhibited: ‘Jessica Dismorr’ Mayor Gallery, 1965 (Ex. Catalogue). Josie Heather was a Vauderville singer in the 1920s.
9x10.5 inches. Framed: 16.5x18 inches.
19. EMETT Rowland (1906 - 1990)
The British Motor Company and Ford do battle.
Pen and ink drawing reproduced in the Motoring Section of ‘Punch’, 20th October, 1954. Signed.
15.75x11.5 inches. Framed: 23x18 inches.
20. DERAIN Andre (1880 - 1954)
Pencil. Studio stamp. Authenticated by the Comite Andre Derain.
12.5x6 inches (irregular) Framed: 19x13 inches.
21. CONDER Charles N.E. A.C. (1868-1909) Girls on a beach, possibly Swanage. Red, blue and black chalks. Circa 1905 5.25x3.5 inches. Framed: 12x10 inches.
22. FRIEND Donald (1915 - 1989)
Venice: the entrance to the Arsenale.
Ink and watercolour. . Exhibited: No.89. November 1952, Redfern Gallery,
12.5x19 inches. Framed: 20x27 inches.
23. FROST Sir Terry R.A. (1915-2003) ‘A Very Happy Christmas’. Gouache on an incised Chelsea Arts Club folded card. Dedicated, signed and dated, 2000, inside. 5.5x7.5 inches. Framed: 13x15 inches. £4000
24. GIBBS Evelyn R.E. (1905-1991)
Ink, watercolour and gouache. Signed and dated, 19(?6)3.
18.5x23.25 inches. Framed: 26x31 inches.
25. GAUDIER-BRZESKA Henri (1891-1915) The Boxer. Pen and ink. Initialed and inscribed ‘GB 58’. Exhibited: Beaux Art Gallery 15x10 inches. Framed: 22x17 inches. £9750
26. GILL Eric (1882-1940)
Pencil and pastel. Signed and dated ‘ 4.6.26’. Ex. Coll: Wyndham T Vint, Bradford.
12.25x11.25 inches. Framed: 20.75x18.75 inches.
27. EPSTEIN Sir Jacob L.G. (1880-1959)
‘Abstract Comp- osition’, study for sculpture.
Pencil and red chalk 1912-1914. Exhibited: Mercury Gallery, 1966. Ex. Collection: Alistair McAlpine.
19.5x14 inches. Framed: 30x23.5 inches.
28. GRANGER-TAYLOR Edith R.W.S. N.E.A.C. (1888 - 1958)
‘Women, tents and washing’.
Gouache. 1937. Exhibited : ‘Edith Granger-Taylor’, Gillian Jason Gallery.
19x24.75 inches. Framed: 26x32 inches.
29. GRANT Duncan L.G. (1885-1978) ‘Paul Roche’. Black and white chalks. Circa 1950. Signed. 20.5x30 inches. Framed: 29x38 inches.
30. GERTLER Mark L.G. N.E.A.C. (1891-1939)
Violin Case and flowers.
Pencil study for ‘Violin Case and Flowers’, oil, 1930 (Tate Britain)
Pencil. Signed and dedicated ‘To my dear friend / Walter Taylor’. Lit: ‘Mark Gertler’, John Woodeson, as Collection of Eric Holder.
11x15 inches. Framed: 19x22 inches.
32. HECKROTH Hein (1901 - 1970)
‘Death, The Green Table’.
Pencil, ink and gouache. Signed and dated (19)35. Inscribed on the original mount ‘Ballet and chorography Kurt Jooss / Music Fritz Cohen’. Kurt Jooss also danced the part of ‘Death’.
7.75x10.25 inches. Framed: 15x16.5 inches.
33. HENNELL Thomas R.W.S. (1903-1945)
Winter landscape – view from Hennell’s cottage.
Ink and watercolour. Circa 1938. Signed. Inscribed verso ‘Packing Cherries’.
11.75x18.5 inches. Framed: 19.5x25.75 inches.
34. HAMBLING Maggi C.B.E. (b.1945) ‘George Melly’. Charcoal. Signed and dated, 14. 8. (19)98. A study for ‘George Melly’, oil on canvas, 1998, National Portrait Gallery. 24x19 inches. Framed: 29.5x24.5 inches.
35. HOUGHTON BROWN Geoffrey (1903-1993) ‘Prep - aring for the Chase’. Ink, gouache and collage. Ex. Collection: Quentin Stevenson. 10x8.25 inches. Framed: 16.25x14.25 inches.
36. JOHN Rebecca (b.1947)
‘From the Hedgerow, Ty Draw, February 1999’.
Pencil and watercolour on vellum. Signed and dated. Exhibited: No.8, ‘Plant Life, Watercolour Drawings by Rebecca John’, Lefevre Gallery, May 1999.
12x9 inches. Framed: 18.5x15.5 inches.
37. HITCHENS Ivon (1893 - 1979) The sunbather. Pen and ink. Signed and dated, 1941. Exhibited: Basil Jacobs Fine Art. 7x12.5 inches. Framed: 14.75x19 inches. £3750
38. HUBBARD John (b.1931) ‘Kew Gardens, No 3’. Charcoal. Signed and indistinctly dated. Exhibited: Fischer Fine Art. 23x31 inches. Framed: 32x40 inches.
39. HUGO Jean (1894-1984)
Gouache. Signed. Exhibited: Alex, Reid & Lefevre Ltd. Ex.Collection: Alvide Lees-Milne
4x6.5 inches. Framed: 8x11 inches.
40. HURRY Leslie (1909-1978)
Watercolour. Exhibited: Redfern Gallery, December 1941. Ex. Collection: Dr J. Twiston Davies.
17x22 inches. Framed: 24x29 inches.
41. KNIGHT Dame Laura R.A. R.E. (1877-1970) ‘On The Olympic’; the artist boarded the New York bound White Star Liner on 22nd March 1922. Black chalk. Signed, inscribed and dated, 1922. Exhibited: John Mitchell Fine Paintings. 12x9.5 inches. Framed: 18x15.5 inches.
42. HYMAN Timothy R.A. (b.1946)
‘Portrait of Judith’.
Pastel. 1984. Exhibited: Blond Fine Art, 1985.
11x14 inches. Framed: 19x22 inches.
43. JOHN Augustus O.M. R.A. (1878-1961)
Arcadian comp- osition.
Pen, brush and ink. Exhibited: Royal Academy, ‘Augustus John’, 1954. Ex. Collection: Wyndham T Vint, Bradford.
10x13 inches. Framed :18x20.5 inches.
44. JOHN Augustus O.M. R.A. (1878-1961)
Pen and ink. Circa 1910.
14x9.5 inches. Framed: 21x16 inches.
45. JOHN Augustus O.M. R.A. (1878-1961)
Adam and Eve.
Pen and ink. Circa 1910. Provenance: Christies 21.9.1990. lot 73
9.5x12.25 inches. Framed: 17x19 inches.
46. MORRIS Sir Cedric (1889-1982)
Portrait of Lucian Freud.
Pen and ink. Provenance: Milly Hayes, Morris’s housekeeper.
13x8.5 inches. Framed: 21x16 inches.
47. LE BAS Edward R.A. (1904-1966) Study for ‘Saloon Bar‘ (Oil on canvas, Tate Britain). Brush and ink, lightly squared. Inscribed by Duncan Grant ‘For Duncan Grant from Edward Le Bas, 1940’. 18x12 inches. Framed: 26x20 inches.
48. MEDNIKOFF Reuben (1906-1971)
Automatic Forms. Watercolour. Dated by the artist ‘August 15th 1935 – 1’. Exh: Jesus College Cambridge. Ex. Coll: Barry Flanagan R.A. (1941-2009)
14x10 inches. Framed: 21x17 inches.
49. LOIZOU Renos (1948 - 2013)
‘The Grape Garden’.
Watercolour. Signed. 1982. Exhibited: Christopher Hull Gallery. Ex. Collection: Dr J. E. Reade
15x21.5 inches. Framed: 25x30 inches.
50. MENINSKY Bernard L.G. N.E.A.C. (1891-1950)
Figures in landscape. Gouache on newsprint. Signed. Ex. Collection: Edward Le Bas R.A. Exhibited: Leger Gallery.
51. MAZE Paul (1887-1949) ‘Nice’. Pastel. Signed and inscribed. 8x13 inches. Framed: 15x20 inches.
52. MESSEL Oliver (1904 - 1978)
‘Last Act. Queen of Spades’, Royal Opera House, Covent Gaden, 1950.
Gouache and watercolour. Signed and dedicated on the original backing.
14x21 inches. Framed: 21.5x28.5 inches.
53. NASH John R.A. (1893-1977) Woodland study. Pencil with some wash. Provenance: Artist’s Estate, New Grafton Gallery, 27.3.80, no.14. 12x15.5 inches. Framed: 20x22.75 inches.
54. MINTON John (1917-1957) ‘Study of foliage’. Pen, brush and indian ink. Signed. Verso: Study of a sleeping boy. Exh: No.9. ‘Artists of Fame and promise’, Leicester Galleries, August 1960. Ex. Coll: Mr I.R.Mackrill. 10x15 inches. Framed: 19x23 inches.
55. NASH Paul N.E.A.C. L.G. (1886-1946) ‘March Woods, Study 1’. Pencil and watercolour. 1937. Signed, inscribed verso by the artist. Exhibited: Redfern Gallery, 1965. Hamet Gallery, 1973. 15.25x22.25 inches. Framed: 24x31 inches. £7250
56. OFEK Avraham (1935 - 1990)
View of Jerusalem.
Pencil and gouache. Signed and dated , 1957. Exhibited: Neil Sack Gallery, Durban.
20x21 inches. Framed: 29x29 inches.
57. SEALY Colin (1891-1964)
Charcoal and gouache. Circa 1935. Exhibited: The Belgrave Gallery.
7x8.5 inches. Framed: 15.5x16.5 inches.
58. PEAKE Mervyn (1911-1968)
Mother and child.
Ink and watercolour. Signed and dated, 1941.
13.25x9.5 inches. Framed: 21x16 inches.
59. NOLAN Sir Sidney R.A. O.M. (1917-1992)
Ruins of Antiquity.
Ripolin on paper. Signed and dated, 1955.
11.75x9.75 inches. Framed: 20.5x18.5 inches.
60. PROCKTOR Patrick R.A. (1936-2003) ‘The Chef’: Richard Shepherd. Watercolour. Signed. and dated, 1983. Ex. Collection: Peter Langan. 20x14 inches. Framed: 27.5x20 inches. £3750
61. PIPER John C.H. (1903 - 1992) Welsh valley. Ink, watercolour and gouache. Signed and dated, 1958. 4x6 inches. Framed: 12.5x13.5 inches.
62. PIPER John C.H. (1903 - 1992) ‘Gloriana…3rd Act – Sc.2 A Street’. Mixed media. Signed and inscribed. 24.75x15.5 inches. Framed: 25.25x33.75 inches. £5000
63. PIPER John C.H. (1903 - 1992) Bristol: ‘Crown and Anchor’. Mixed media and collage. Signed. 11.5x15 inches. Framed: 20x23 inches. £7750
64. PRYDE James I.S. (1886-1941)
Oil on paper. Inscribed on remains of original label. Exhibited: Leicester Galleries.
5x4 inches. Framed: 12x10 inches.
65. ROTHENSTEIN Sir William N.E.A.C. (1872-1945)
Study of a Cavalry Private.
Red chalk, pencil squared for a painting. Circa 1917. Provenance: the artist’s grand daughter.
24x9 inches. Framed: 32x16 inches.
66. RECKITT Rachel (1908 - 1995)
Ink and watercolour. Signed and inscribed verso.
15x11 inches. Framed: 22x17 inches.
67. SHEPARD Ernest Howard (1879-1976) ‘The Air Force Pageant – the couple who were determined to miss nothing / Aerobatic thrills during the lunch break’ Pen and ink for Punch Circa 1925. Signed. Inscribed bebeath the mount. Exhibited: No.170, ‘E.H.Shepard’, The Fine Art Society, 2006. 7x10 inches. Framed: 15x17.5 inches.
68. SEARLE Ronald C.B.E. (1920-2011)
‘Molesworth’s Mum’. Pen and ink drawn on the half-title page of a 1st edition of ‘How to be Topp’. 1956. Signed and dedicated to Fitzwilliam Barrington.
7x5 inches. Framed: the opened book in a box frame 10x13 inches.
69. SWAN Alice Macallan R.W.S (1864-1939)
The Winter fold.
Tempera on card. Signed and dated, 1932.
11x16.5 inches. Framed: 19.5x24.5 inches.
70. SPENCER Sir Stanley R.A. N.E.A.C. (1891-1959) Figures at the piano, used for ‘At the Piano’, oil, 1957. Pencil and watercolour. Circa 1936. Christies 'Stanley Spencer Studio Sale' stamp verso. 5.5x4 inches. Framed: 13x11 inches.
71. SPENCER Sir Stanley R.A. N.E.A.C. (1891-1959) Self - portrait study. Pencil. Inscribed by the artist ‘Shirin wants to keep this, Self-portrait’. Verso: pencil studies of caped men and a mule. 10x14.25 inches. Framed: 19x21 inches.
72. SICKERT Walter Richard R.A. N.E.A.C. (1860-1942)
Figure studies, Venice.
Black and white chalks. Circa 1903. Signed.
10.25x13.25 inches. Framed: 23x19.5 inches.
73. TOPOLSKI Feliks R.A. (1907-1989)
WWI ‘Ex - Servicemen in Whitehall’.
Pen, brush and ink. Signed, inscribed and dated, ‘Autumn 1937’ or 39? Ill: Britain in Peace and War, Publ. 1941, p.56.
11x16 inches. Framed: 20x24 inches.
74. TABNER Len (b.1946)
Gouache and pastel.
3.5x15 inches. Framed: 14x28 inches.
75. SIMPSON Charles Walter R.I. (1885-1971)
‘Whitchurch Downs, Dartmoor’.
Gouache on card. Signed.
20.5x28.5 inches. Framed: 25.5x33 inches.
76. WALTON Allan (1892 - 1948)
‘The Deben at Ramsholt’.
Watercolour. Signed. Circa 1935. Ex.Coll: Michael Sadler, University College. Exhibited: Agnews.
9x11.5 inches. Framed: 16x18 inches.
77. WHITE Clare (1903-1997)
The children on the street, Barbados.
Pencil and water - colour. Signed.
14x19 inches. 21x26 inches.
78. WESSON Edward R.I. R.S.M.A. (1910-1983) ‘Low tide at Leigh on Sea’. Watercolour. Signed. Inscribed on artist’s label. 12.5x19.25 inches. Framed: 20x26 inches.
79. WALCH Charles (1898 - 1948)
Pencil. Signed. 1946. Exhibited: Galerie de la Presidence, Paris.
23.5x18 inches. Framed: 36x30 inches.
80. WHISTLER Rex (1905 - 1944)
‘Reunion in Vienna’.
Ink and watercolour. Inscribed verso ‘Return to Laurence Whistler’. Exhibited: Michael Parkin Gallery. Lit: L. Whistler and R. Fuller, The Work of Rex Whistler, Batsford, 1960, p.57. Ill: ‘The Masque’, No.4
9.5x7 inches. Framed: 17x13 inches.
81. WILLIAMS Sir Kyffin R.A. (1918-2006)
Brush and ink. Signed. Exh: Teggfryn Art Gallery.
11.75x7 inches. Framed: 19.5x14.25 inches.
82. VELLACOTT Elisabeth (1905-2002)
Red chalk. 1988. Exhibited: New Art Centre.
17.5x14.5inches. Framed: 23x21 inches.
83. WINTER William Arthur R.C.A. C.G.P. (1909-1996)
Pencil. 1963. Signed. Exhibited: Art Gallery of Toronto, Sale of Canadian Art.
14x19.5 inches. Framed: 21.5x28.5 inches.
84. WOOD Christopher (1901 - 1930)
Design for a projected Chinese Ballet. Gouache. 1929/1930 stage design for the Cochran Review. Provenance: Redfern Gallery (original label).
12x15.25 inches. Framed: 20x21 inches.