WATERCOLOURS AND DRAWINGS 2015
1. BERLIN Sven (1911-1999) Self-portrait. Pencil and watercolour. Signed and dated, 1965. 11.5x8.25 inches. Framed: 19x15 inches.
2. BELLANY John C.B.E. R.A. (1942-2013) Head of a Girl. Brush and ink. Signed. 18x15 inches. Framed: 24x20.5 inches.
3. BELL Vanessa (1879-1961)
‘Asters in black vase’.
Watercolour. Signed. Signed and inscribed verso.
10x6.25 inches. Framed: 17x13 inches.
4. ARDIZZONE Edward R.A. (1900-1979)
‘Pleasure cruise on the Thames’.
Pen, brush and ink. Inscribed by the artist verso.
Ex. Collection: Christopher Hogwood CBE (1941-2014).
8.25x13 inches. Framed: 16x20 inches.
5. BLAMPIED Edmund R.B.A. R.E. (1886-1966)
‘The Lost Purse’.
Chalk. Signed and inscribed.
10.5x9.5 inches. Framed: 17x16 inches.
6. BILIBIN Alexander (1903-1972)
Watercolour and gouache. Signed and dated, 1937.
Exhibited: London Group, 1947.
14x20 inches. Framed: 26x21 inches.
7. BONE Sir Muirhead R.A. R.W.S. (1876-1953) ‘Evening on the Alameda, Ronda’. Charcoal and watercolour. 1925. Signed and inscribed. 11.5x15.5 inches. Framed: 18x22 inches.
8. BRILL Reginald (1902-1974)
Head of a Cowman.
Ink and gouache. Exhibited: Fantasy in the Country, Phoenix Gallery, Lavenham, 1977, No.13 (as ‘Workman’s Head I’). Ex. Collection: Mr and Mrs D.White
11x8 inches. Framed 19.75x16.5 inches.
9. BRATBY John R.A. (1928-1992) ‘Kent, Sundown’. Pencil and watercolour. Signed and inscribed. Circa 1990. 14x22 inches. Framed: 24x29.5 inches.
10. BUSSY Simon (1870-1954) ‘Vue de Monte Carlo à Travers les oliviers’. Pastel. Signed. Ex. Coll: Hugh Blaker. Exhibited: the Goupil Gallery; Hugh Blaker Collection of Modern French Art Atkinson Art Gallery, Southport, 1933. 8x6.5 inches. Framed: 16.5x14.25 inches.
11. CAINE Osmund (1914-2004)
‘Vote For …’; Street Altercation, Birmingham.
Pencil. Signed and dated, 1934.
11.5x18 inches. Framed: 19.25x24.5 inches.
12. CARRON Marcel (1890-1961)
Charcoal. Circa 1925. Authenticated verso by the artist’s daughter, Marcelle Caron.
10.5x8.25 inches. Framed: 19.5x16.5 inches.
13. CHOPPING Richard (1917-2008)
Pencil and watercolour with marbled paper surround. Signed and dated, 1953.
10.5x15.25 inches. Framed: 12.75x17.25 inches.
15. CLAUSEN Sir George R.A. (1852-1944) Windblown landscape. Pen, brush and sepia ink. Signed. 8.5x14.25 inches. Framed: 16.5x21.5 inches.
16. CLIFFE Henry (1919-1983)
Wax crayons. Signed and dated, 1970.
20x25 inches. Framed: 29x33 inches.
17. COLLINS Cecil (1908-1989) ‘Figure and Landscape’. Pen, brush and ink. Signed, inscribed by the artist and dated, 1950, verso. 14x10.75 inches. Framed: 22.5x18.5 inches.
18. COLLINS Henry (1910-1994) ‘Stag Beetle and Essex Mill - Night’. Watercolour and ink. Signed, inscribed and dated, 1951-2. 9.75x13.25 inches. Framed:17x19.25 inches.
19. COLQUHOUN Ithell (1906-1988)
‘Nessus divesting himself of his shirt’.
Pencil and acrylic on paper. Signed and inscribed verso.
12.75x9 inches. Framed: 20x15 inches.
20. DUBSKY Mario (1939-1985)
Charcoal. Dated ‘Aug 58’ by the artist
21.75x15 inches. Framed: 30x23 inches.
21. CREFFIELD Denis L.G. (b.1931) 'Canterbury Cathedral'. Charcoal. Signed and dated, 1965. Exhibited: Queen Square Gallery, Leeds. 30.5x22 inches. Framed: 38x29 inches.
22. DACHINGER Hugo (1908-1995)
Isle of Man: ‘Ramsay’ from the Mooragh Internment Camp.
Dachinger, an Austrian Jew, was interned at the Mooragh Camp from October 1940-January 1941.
Ink and gouache on a page from The Times for October 14th 1940 newspaper. Signed, inscribed and dated, 1940.
16.75x22 inches. Framed: 32x24.5 inches.
23. DOITCH Eric (1923-2000)
In the Boxing Ring.
Pencil, ink, watercolour and crayon. Circa 1960. Inscribed beneath the mount.
9.5x10 inches. Framed: 16.25x17.25 inches.
24. EPSTEIN Sir Jacob (1880-1959)
Pencil. Circa 1925. Signed.
17.5x22 inches. Framed: 25x30 inches.
25. FEDDEN Mary O.B.E. (1915-2012)
Two Figs on their bough.
Watercolour and gouache. Signed and dated, '29.3.09'.
4x5.5 inches. Framed: 11x11.5 inches.
26. EURICH Richard R.A. (1903-1992)
The Clay Pipe.
Pencil. Signed and dated, 1928.
8.25x6 inches. Framed: 20.25x14 inches.
27. EVANS Powys ‘QUIZ’ (1899-1981) London: East End Market. Ink and watercolour. Circa 1920. Exhibited: Langton Gallery. 13.5x19.5 inches. Framed: 22x27 inches.
28. GEORGE Thomas (American 1918-2009)
‘Lower Rose Terrace, Bodnant’.
Pastel. Signed. 1992. Exhibited: A Garden Revealed: Bodnant, North Wales, Julian Hartnoll, 1993, No.14.
23.25x17.5 inches. Framed: 30.5x24.75 inches.
29. GIBBS Evelyn (1905-1991)
Palm at ‘Les Mimosas’.
Charcoal, ink and watercolour. Signed and dated, 1953. Exhibited: Zwemmer Gallery.
21.75x17 inches. Framed: 31x25 inches.
30. GRANT Duncan (1985-1978) Isaac and Rebecca. Ink and watercolour. Signed and dated, 1964. 13x9.5 inches. Framed: 20.5x16.25 inches.
31. HAWTHORNE Elwin (1905-1954) London: East End street works. Ink and watercolour. Signed. Circa 1935. 6.25x11 inches. Framed: 12x16.25 inches.
32. GROSS Anthony R.A. C.B.E. (1905-1984) ‘Orchard’. Ink and watercolour. 1956. Signed. Exhibited: ‘Anthony Gross’, Leicester Galleries, March 1962, No.22 (to Lady McFadyean). 14.75x21.75 inches. Framed: 21x28 inches. £2750
33. HAYDEN Henri (1883-1970)
Pen, brush and ink. Signed and dated, 1950.
12x19.5 inches. Framed: 22x28.5 inches.
34. HODGKINS Frances (1869-1947) Sleeping Baby. Ink and watercolour. Circa 1905. Signed. Inscribed verso ‘S. H. Ellis’. 13x12 inches. Framed: 22x20 inches. £9750
35. HITCHENS Ivon L.G. (1893-1979) Resting figure. Charcoal and watercolour. Signed and dated, 1960. Possibly a study for the mural ‘Day’s Work, Day’s Rest’, University of Sussex, 1960-1963. 17x23 inches. Framed: 26.25x31.25 inches.
36. HUBBARD John (b.1931) ‘Vase of Flowers No.1’. Charcoal. Signed. Exhibited: John Hubbard, Museum of Modern Art, Oxford, 1985, No.28. 27x22 inches. Framed: 39x32 inches.
37. JENKINSON Geoffrey (1925-2005) Yorkshire: ‘Castleford from the South’. Pencil and watercolour. Signed, inscribed and dated, 9th February 1944. 11.75x19.25 inches. Framed: 19x27 inches. £2250
38. IMMS David (b.1945)
‘Dunshay Manor Pool’, Dorset.
Pencil and gouache. Signed, inscribed and dated, (28.8) 1990.
16x11.75 inches. Framed: 24x18 inches.
39. JOHN Augustus O.M. R.A. (1878-1961) Dorelia. Pencil. Circa 1910. Ex. Collections: Wyndham T. Vint, Bradford; Arthur Crossland, Bradford. Exhibited: British Institute of Adult Education; Adams Gallery. 10x15.75 inches the page.
40. JUNGMAN Nico (1872-1935)
'Het Land van Goes', Zeeland.
Ink, watercolour and gold leaf. Signed and inscribed. Circa 1900.
5x4 inches. Framed: 18.5x12.5 inches.
41. JULLIAN Philippe (1919-1977)
Ink and watercolour. Signed and dated, 'Aout ’52'.
14x10 inches. Framed: 21x17 inches.
42. JOHN Gwen (1876-1939)
Woman in a hat.
Pencil and watercolour. Circa 1920. G3J2.
5.5x4 inches. Framed: 13.5x11 inches.
43. LYONS-WILSON William (1892-1981)
‘Grisdale Peat Hag’.
Ink and watercolour. Signed, inscribed and dated 193(?5).
12x14.25 inches. Framed: 19x20.5
44. KRAMER Jacob (1892-1962)
The artist’s father.
Charcoal and pastel. Signed and dated, 1915.
18x17 inches. Framed: 30x25 inches.
45. KEMP Jeka (1876-1967)
Watercolour. Signed. Circa 1905.
12.75x13 inches. Framed: 21x21.5 inches.
46. LEDWARD Gilbert R.A. (1888-1960) 'The Seer'. ‘Study from life for a bronze figure…at Mercury House 195 Knightsbridge’. Pencil and crayons. Signed, inscribed and dated, 1955. 18.5x10.75 inches. Framed: 27.25x19 inches.
47. LE BRUN Christopher P.R.A. (b.1951) ‘Union – Horse with two discs’. Charcoal. c.1999. Signed. Exhibited: New Art Centre. 17.75x25.25 inches. Framed: 25x32.5 inches.
48. LANCASTER Sir Osbert (1908-1986)
Gouache design for Pineapple Poll (Sullivan / Makaras, Cranko, 1951). Exhibited: Redfern Gallery, 1952.
9.5x6 inches. Framed: 17.5x13.5 inches.
49. MACTAGGART Sir William P.R.A. (1903-1981) Coastal landscape. Pencil and watercolour. Studio stamp verso ‘W. McTaggart / Studio No.192’. Exhibited: Phipps and Co, 1988. 14.5x18 inches. Framed: 23x26 inches. £1500
50. MARTIN Kenneth (1905-1984)
Possibly a portrait of the artist’s wife, Mary Martin.
Pastel. Circa 1935. Artist’s label ‘Kenneth Martin / 54 Belsize Park / N.W.3 / Not For Sale’.
9.5x6.25 inches. Framed: 17.5x13 inches.
51. MAZE Paul (1887-1979) ‘The kite’. Pastel. Signed. Possibly of Fishers Island, Long Island Sound, New York. 10.5x14 inches. Framed: 19.5x22.75 inches.
52. MCEVOY Ambrose A.R.A. (1878-1927) Dame Ethel Smythe (1858-1944) Pastel on grey paper. Ex. Collection: Wyndham T. Vint, Bradford. 24x17.5 inches. Framed: 32.23.5 inches.
53. MESSEL Oliver (1904-1978) The High Priest. Pencil and watercolour. Signed. 20x12 inches. Framed: 28.5x18 inches.
54. MINTON John (1917-1957) Cover design for The Leader Magazine. Ink, watercolour and gouache. 1948. Inscribed by the artist. 12x9.25 inches. Framed: 19x16 inches.
55. MORROCCO Alberto R.S.A. (1917-1998)
‘On the lettini’.
Charcoal. Provenance: Artist’s Estate.
8x10 inches. Framed: 16x18 inches.
56. NASH John R.A. C.B.E. (1893-1977) or Paul N.E.A.C. L.G. (1889-1946) ‘La Femme Mysterieuse’. Brush and ink. Circa 1911. Inscribed and signed with monogram. Provenance: New Grafton Gallery as either P or J. 12.25x9.25 inches. Framed: 20.75x17.75 inches.
57. NASH John R.A. C.B.E (1893-1977) ’Beechwood, Norfolk’. Pencil with blue and grey watercolour washes. Signed. 14x17.5 inches. Framed: 21x25 inches.
58. NOLAN Sir Sidney O.M. A.C. (1917-1992)
Mixed media on paper. Signed. Backing signed and dated, 1968. Exhibited: Sidney Nolan, Marlborough Fine Art, Cat. No.62
11.5x9.5 inches. Framed: 19.5x17.5 inches.
59. NIXON Job (1891-1938)
‘Italian Harvesters travelling’.
Pencil and chalks. Inscribed verso. Circa 1924.
Ex. Collection: Wyndham T. Vint. Exhibited: Bradford City Art Gallery.
19.5x28.5 inches. Framed: 30x39 inches.
60. ORPEN Sir William R.A. R.H.A. (1878-1931) ‘Petticoat Lane’: Sir Hugh Lane (1875-1915). Pen and ink. Inscribed and drawn on the reverse of a letter to Lane from and signed by Orpen. 8.5x5.5 inches. Framed: 15.5x12 inches.
61. PASMORE Victor C.H. C.B.E. (1908-1998) ‘Nude’; study of the artist's wife, Wendy, for 'Studio of Ingres', oil (1945-1947). Pencil. Signed. Exhibited: Roland, Browse and Delbanco, December 1947 (to Rex de C Nan Kivell). 6.5x10.5 inches. Framed: 14.25x17.75 inches.
We are grateful to Dr Alastair Grieve for identifying this drawing as a study for 'Studio of Ingres'.
62. PIPER John C.H. (1903-1992) ‘Appian Way I’. Pencil, crayon, watercolour and gouache. Signed. Circa 1960. Inscribed verso. 6.5x14 inches.
63. POTTER Mary L.G. N.E.A.C. (1900-1981)
‘Terracotta Still Life’.
Watercolour. 1960. Exhibited: The New Art Centre.
9x5x13 inches. Framed: 16.5x20 inches.
64. RICHARDS Ceri C.B.E. (1903-1971)
Lyre Birds, drawn for ‘Poetry, London’.
Ink and watercolour. c.1945. Impressed Studio Stamp. Verso inscribed and dedicated to Anthony Dawson (1921-2006) by Frances Richards.
7x10 inches. Framed: 14.25x16.5 inches.
65. REYNOLDS Alan (1926-2014) ‘Modular Study’. Pencil. Signed, inscribed and dated, 1979. Ex. Collection: William and Edith Morgan. 17.5x17.5 inches. Framed: 28x28 inches.
66. ROWNTREE Kenneth (1915-1997) ‘Mexican Church’. Watercolour. Signed and dated, 1958. 18.25x22.25 inches. Framed: 29x32 inches.
67. SHEPARD Ernest Howard O.B.E. M.C. (1879-1976) ‘Paris, City of Contrasts’. Pen and ink. Signed. For Punch; initialled beneath the mount by the editor Kenneth Bird (‘Fougasse’). 12x18 inches. Framed: 20x25 inches.
68. SCHWARZ Hans R.W.S. N.E.A.C. R.P. (1922-2003) The ear of the artist: self-portrait. Watercolour. Circa 1995. Provenance: the Artist’s Estate. 20x22 inches. Framed: 39.5x31 inches.
69. SEARLE Ronald CBE (1920-2011)
‘The Boy Friend’.
Ink and crayon. The Wyndham Theatre 1954 Production. Signed and inscribed by the artist.
70. SIMPSON Joseph (1879-1939) Portrait of D H Lawrence (1885-1930). Charcoal and gouache. Signed. Illustrated: The Sunday Dispatch, 17.02.1929. 9.25x8.25 inches. Framed: 21x18.75 inches.
71. SOUZA Francis Newton (1924-2002) Standing Nude. Pen and ink. Signed and dated, 1962. 13x8 inches. Framed: 19x13.5 inches.
72. SICKERT Walter Richard N.E.A.C. (1860-1940) The Violinist. Pencil, squared for transfer with red ink. 1922/23. Provenance: Andrina Sweder, sister of Mrs (Christine) Sickert, and by descent. We are grateful to Dr Wendy Baron for confirming this drawing. 13x10 inches. Framed: 21x17 inches.
73. SOZONOV Valerie (mid-20th Century)
The beach at Scheveningen.
Pencil, watercolour and gouache. Signed and dated, 1932. Ex. Collection: Wyndham T. Vint, Bradford.
16x21.5 inches. Framed: 23x28 inches.
74. SPARE Austin Osman (1886-1956) ‘Mountains of the Moon’. Pastels on tan paper. Signed and dated, 1955. Inscribed verso ‘Mountains of the Moon’ No.183 / By Austin Osman Spare 1888-1956 / Owned by Ernest Chapman / Owner of the Four O’Donnell Pearls’. 23.5x19 inches. Framed: 30x27 inches.
75. STAFFORD-BAKER Julius (1869-1961)
Bombed railway station, Foggia.
Ink and watercolour. Signed and dated, 22.6.1944. Provenance: The Artist’s Estate.
17x22.5 inches. Framed: 25x30 inches.
76. TONKS Professor Henry N.E.A.C. (1862-1937)
‘In the Garden’.
Pastels. Signed. Circa 1900. Ex. Collection: Wyndham T. Vint, Bradford. Exhibited: R. H. Spurr, Southport.
21x16.25 inches. Framed: 31x26.5 inches.
77. VAUGHAN Keith (1912-1977) ‘Three naked figures exercising’. Pencil. Studio stamp verso. Exhibited: Austin Desmond, 1989. 4.5x6.25 inches. Framed: 12.25x13.5 inches.
78. STONEHOUSE Brian (1918-1989)
An Evening Dress.
Pencil, watercolour and gouache on tan card. Signed. Fashion illustration for an American magazine, probably (as signed) American Vogue. Circa 1960. Provenance: The artist’s estate. Stamped ‘Stonehouse Estate / A and H’ verso.
28x19 inches. Framed: 34x25 inches.
79. VELLACOTT Elisabeth (1905-2002)
‘River Edw – Early Spring 1976’.
Graphite stick. Signed. Exhibited: The New Art Centre.
15.75x18.5 inches. Framed: 22x24.5 inches.
80. VERGE-SARRAT Henri (1880-1966)
‘La Loire et la Mont Corneville’.
Watercolour and gouache. Signed and dated, 1928.
81. VERNEY Sir John (1913-1993)
Pencil, crayon, gouache and collage. Signed and dated, 1948. Exhibited: Association of International Artists.
17x19 inches. Framed: 28x27 inches.
82. WHITE Clare (1903-1997)
Boat building, Barbados.
Pencil and watercolour. Signed.
14.5x19 inches. Framed: 22x26 inches.
83. YEATS John Butler (1839-1922)
‘Stephen Lucius Gwynne’ (1864-1950), the Irish author and politician.
Pencil. Signed and dated, October 1906.
84. WHITE Ethelbert R.W.S. S.W.E (1891-1972) ‘Upland Farm’. Watercolour. Circa 1930. Exhibited: Fine Art Society January, 1986 (Stock. No.W10/4). 9.5x12 inches. Framed: 20x21.75 inches.