WATERCOLOURS AND DRAWINGS
12 pm Saturday 19th September
through Saturday 17th October 2015
Note: Nothing will be sold before the exhibition opens at 12pm Saturday 19th September.
Please contact us if you are unfamiliar with the buying procedure for the opening day.
1. BERLIN Sven (1911-1999) Self-portrait. Pencil and watercolour. Signed and dated, 1965. 11.5x8.25 inches. Framed: 19x15 inches. £1400
2. BELLANY John C.B.E. R.A. (1942-2013) Head of a Girl. Brush and ink. Signed. 18x15 inches. Framed: 24x20.5 inches. £800
3. BELL Vanessa (1879-1961)
‘Asters in black vase’.
Watercolour. Signed. Signed and inscribed verso.
10x6.25 inches. Framed: 17x13 inches.
4. ARDIZZONE Edward R.A. (1900-1979)
‘Pleasure cruise on the Thames’.
Pen, brush and ink. Inscribed by the artist verso.
Ex. Collection: Christopher Hogwood CBE (1941-2014).
8.25x13 inches. Framed: 16x20 inches.
5. BLAMPIED Edmund R.B.A. R.E. (1886-1966)
‘The Lost Purse’.
Chalk. Signed and inscribed.
10.5x9.5 inches. Framed: 17x16 inches.
6. BILIBIN Alexander (1903-1972)
Watercolour and gouache. Signed and dated, 1937.
Exhibited: London Group, 1947.
14x20 inches. Framed: 26x21 inches.
7. BONE Sir Muirhead R.A. R.W.S. (1876-1953) ‘Evening on the Alameda, Ronda’. Charcoal and watercolour. 1925. Signed and inscribed. 11.5x15.5 inches. Framed: 18x22 inches. £1600
8. BRILL Reginald (1902-1974)
Head of a Cowman.
Ink and gouache. Exhibited: Fantasy in the Country, Phoenix Gallery, Lavenham, 1977, No.13 (as ‘Workman’s Head I’). Ex. Collection: Mr and Mrs D.White
11x8 inches. Framed 19.75x16.5 inches.
9. BRATBY John R.A. (1928-1992) ‘Kent, Sundown’. Pencil and watercolour. Signed and inscribed. Circa 1990. 14x22 inches. Framed: 24x29.5 inches. £675
10. BUSSY Simon (1870-1954) ‘Vue de Monte Carlo à Travers les oliviers’. Pastel. Signed. Ex. Coll: Hugh Blaker. Exhibited: the Goupil Gallery; Hugh Blaker Collection of Modern French Art Atkinson Art Gallery, Southport, 1933. 8x6.5 inches. Framed: 16.5x14.25 inches. £3750
11. CAINE Osmund (1914-2004)
‘Vote For …’; Street Altercation, Birmingham.
Pencil. Signed and dated, 1934.
11.5x18 inches. Framed: 19.25x24.5 inches.
12. CARRON Marcel (1890-1961)
Charcoal. Circa 1925. Authenticated verso by the artist’s daughter, Marcelle Caron.
10.5x8.25 inches. Framed: 19.5x16.5 inches.
13. CHOPPING Richard (1917-2008)
Pencil and watercolour with marbled paper surround. Signed and dated, 1953.
10.5x15.25 inches. Framed: 12.75x17.25 inches.
14. CHAPPELL Billy (William) (1907-1994)
Soho: set design for a ballet or musical revue.
Watercolour and gouache. Circa 1950. Provenance: the artist’s estate.
13.75x17 inches. Framed: 22x24.5 inches.
15. CLAUSEN Sir George R.A. (1852-1944) Windblown landscape. Pen, brush and sepia ink. Signed. 8.5x14.25 inches. Framed: 16.5x21.5 inches. £675
16. CLIFFE Henry (1919-1983)
Wax crayons. Signed and dated, 1970.
20x25 inches. Framed: 29x33 inches.
17. COLLINS Cecil (1908-1989) ‘Figure and Landscape’. Pen, brush and ink. Signed, inscribed by the artist and dated, 1950, verso. 14x10.75 inches. Framed: 22.5x18.5 inches. £3500
18. COLLINS Henry (1910-1994) ‘Stag Beetle and Essex Mill - Night’. Watercolour and ink. Signed, inscribed and dated, 1951-2. 9.75x13.25 inches. Framed:17x19.25 inches. £1600
19. COLQUHOUN Ithell (1906-1988)
‘Nessus divesting himself of his shirt’.
Pencil and acrylic on paper. Signed and inscribed verso.
12.75x9 inches. Framed: 20x15 inches.
20. DUBSKY Mario (1939-1985)
Charcoal. Dated ‘Aug 58’ by the artist
21.75x15 inches. Framed: 30x23 inches.
21. CREFFIELD Denis L.G. (b.1931) 'Canterbury Cathedral'. Charcoal. Signed and dated, 1965. Exhibited: Queen Square Gallery, Leeds. 30.5x22 inches. Framed: 38x29 inches. £900
22. DACHINGER Hugo (1908-1995)
Isle of Man: ‘Ramsay’ from the Mooragh Internment Camp.
Dachinger, an Austrian Jew, was interned at the Mooragh Camp from October 1940-January 1941.
Ink and gouache on a page from The Times for October 14th 1940 newspaper. Signed, inscribed and dated, 1940.
16.75x22 inches. Framed: 32x24.5 inches.
23. DOITCH Eric (1923-2000)
In the Boxing Ring.
Pencil, ink, watercolour and crayon. Circa 1960. Inscribed beneath the mount.
9.5x10 inches. Framed: 16.25x17.25 inches.
24. EPSTEIN Sir Jacob (1880-1959)
Pencil. Circa 1925. Signed.
17.5x22 inches. Framed: 25x30 inches.
25. FEDDEN Mary O.B.E. (1915-2012)
Two Figs on their bough.
Watercolour and gouache. Signed and dated, '29.3.09'.
4x5.5 inches. Framed: 11x11.5 inches.
26. EURICH Richard R.A. (1903-1992)
The Clay Pipe.
Pencil. Signed and dated, 1928.
8.25x6 inches. Framed: 20.25x14 inches.
27. EVANS Powys ‘QUIZ’ (1899-1981) London: East End Market. Ink and watercolour. Circa 1920. Exhibited: Langton Gallery. 13.5x19.5 inches. Framed: 22x27 inches. £1400
28. GEORGE Thomas (American 1918-2009)
‘Lower Rose Terrace, Bodnant’.
Pastel. Signed. 1992. Exhibited: A Garden Revealed: Bodnant, North Wales, Julian Hartnoll, 1993, No.14.
23.25x17.5 inches. Framed: 30.5x24.75 inches.
29. GIBBS Evelyn (1905-1991)
Palm at ‘Les Mimosas’.
Charcoal, ink and watercolour. Signed and dated, 1953. Exhibited: Zwemmer Gallery.
21.75x17 inches. Framed: 31x25 inches.
30. GRANT Duncan (1985-1978) Isaac and Rebecca. Ink and watercolour. Signed and dated, 1964. 13x9.5 inches. Framed: 20.5x16.25 inches. £2250
32. GROSS Anthony R.A. C.B.E. (1905-1984) ‘Orchard’. Ink and watercolour. 1956. Signed. Exhibited: ‘Anthony Gross’, Leicester Galleries, March 1962, No.22 (to Lady McFadyean). 14.75x21.75 inches. Framed: 21x28 inches. £2750
33. HAYDEN Henri (1883-1970)
Pen, brush and ink. Signed and dated, 1950.
12x19.5 inches. Framed: 22x28.5 inches.
34. HODGKINS Frances (1869-1947) Sleeping Baby. Ink and watercolour. Circa 1905. Signed. Inscribed verso ‘S. H. Ellis’. 13x12 inches. Framed: 22x20 inches.
35. HITCHENS Ivon L.G. (1893-1979) Resting figure. Charcoal and watercolour. Signed and dated, 1960. Possibly a study for the mural ‘Day’s Work, Day’s Rest’, University of Sussex, 1960-1963. 17x23 inches. Framed: 26.25x31.25 inches. £3750
36. HUBBARD John (b.1931) ‘Vase of Flowers No.1’. Charcoal. Signed. Exhibited: John Hubbard, Museum of Modern Art, Oxford, 1985, No.28. 27x22 inches. Framed: 39x32 inches. £875
37. JENKINSON Geoffrey (1925-2005) Yorkshire: ‘Castleford from the South’. Pencil and watercolour. Signed, inscribed and dated, 9th February 1944. 11.75x19.25 inches. Framed: 19x27 inches. £2250
38. IMMS David (b.1945)
‘Dunshay Manor Pool’, Dorset.
Pencil and gouache. Signed, inscribed and dated, (28.8) 1990.
16x11.75 inches. Framed: 24x18 inches.
39. JOHN Augustus O.M. R.A. (1878-1961) Dorelia. Pencil. Circa 1910. Ex. Collections: Wyndham T. Vint, Bradford; Arthur Crossland, Bradford. Exhibited: British Institute of Adult Education; Adams Gallery. 10x15.75 inches the page. £5500
40. JUNGMAN Nico (1872-1935)
'Het Land van Goes', Zeeland.
Ink, watercolour and gold leaf. Signed and inscribed. Circa 1900.
5x4 inches. Framed: 18.5x12.5 inches.
41. JULLIAN Philippe (1919-1977)
Ink and watercolour. Signed and dated, 'Aout ’52'.
14x10 inches. Framed: 21x17 inches.
42. JOHN Gwen (1876-1939)
Woman in a hat.
Pencil and watercolour. Circa 1920. G3J2.
5.5x4 inches. Framed: 13.5x11 inches.
43. LYONS-WILSON William (1892-1981)
‘Grisdale Peat Hag’.
Ink and watercolour. Signed, inscribed and dated 193(?5).
12x14.25 inches. Framed: 19x20.5
44. KRAMER Jacob (1892-1962)
The artist’s father.
Charcoal and pastel. Signed and dated, 1915.
18x17 inches. Framed: 30x25 inches.
45. KEMP Jeka (1876-1967)
Watercolour. Signed. Circa 1905.
12.75x13 inches. Framed: 21x21.5 inches.
46. LEDWARD Gilbert R.A. (1888-1960) 'The Seer'. ‘Study from life for a bronze figure…at Mercury House 195 Knightsbridge’. Pencil and crayons. Signed, inscribed and dated, 1955. 18.5x10.75 inches. Framed: 27.25x19 inches. £675
47. LE BRUN Christopher P.R.A. (b.1951) ‘Union – Horse with two discs’. Charcoal. c.1999. Signed. Exhibited: New Art Centre. 17.75x25.25 inches. Framed: 25x32.5 inches. £1800
48. LANCASTER Sir Osbert (1908-1986)
Gouache design for Pineapple Poll (Sullivan / Makaras, Cranko, 1951). Exhibited: Redfern Gallery, 1952.
9.5x6 inches. Framed: 17.5x13.5 inches.
49. MACTAGGART Sir William P.R.A. (1903-1981) Coastal landscape. Pencil and watercolour. Studio stamp verso ‘W. McTaggart / Studio No.192’. Exhibited: Phipps and Co, 1988. 14.5x18 inches. Framed: 23x26 inches. £1500
50. MARTIN Kenneth (1905-1984)
Possibly a portrait of the artist’s wife, Mary Martin.
Pastel. Circa 1935. Artist’s label ‘Kenneth Martin / 54 Belsize Park / N.W.3 / Not For Sale’.
9.5x6.25 inches. Framed: 17.5x13 inches.
51. MAZE Paul (1887-1979) ‘The kite’. Pastel. Signed. Possibly of Fishers Island, Long Island Sound, New York. 10.5x14 inches. Framed: 19.5x22.75 inches. £1250
52. MCEVOY Ambrose A.R.A. (1878-1927) Dame Ethel Smythe (1858-1944) Pastel on grey paper. Ex. Collection: Wyndham T. Vint, Bradford. 24x17.5 inches. Framed: 32.23.5 inches. £2250
53. MESSEL Oliver (1904-1978) The High Priest. Pencil and watercolour. Signed. 20x12 inches. Framed: 28.5x18 inches. £875
54. MINTON John (1917-1957) Cover design for The Leader Magazine. Ink, watercolour and gouache. 1948. Inscribed by the artist. 12x9.25 inches. Framed: 19x16 inches.
55. MORROCCO Alberto R.S.A. (1917-1998)
‘On the lettini’.
Charcoal. Provenance: Artist’s Estate.
8x10 inches. Framed: 16x18 inches.
56. NASH John R.A. C.B.E. (1893-1977) or Paul N.E.A.C. L.G. (1889-1946) ‘La Femme Mysterieuse’. Brush and ink. Circa 1911. Inscribed and signed with monogram. Provenance: New Grafton Gallery as either P or J. 12.25x9.25 inches. Framed: 20.75x17.75 inches. £1800
57. NASH John R.A. C.B.E (1893-1977) ’Beechwood, Norfolk’. Pencil with blue and grey watercolour washes. Signed. 14x17.5 inches. Framed: 21x25 inches. £4750
58. NOLAN Sir Sidney O.M. A.C. (1917-1992)
Mixed media on paper. Signed. Backing signed and dated, 1968. Exhibited: Sidney Nolan, Marlborough Fine Art, Cat. No.62
11.5x9.5 inches. Framed: 19.5x17.5 inches.
59. NIXON Job (1891-1938)
‘Italian Harvesters travelling’.
Pencil and chalks. Inscribed verso. Circa 1924.
Ex. Collection: Wyndham T. Vint. Exhibited: Bradford City Art Gallery.
19.5x28.5 inches. Framed: 30x39 inches.
60. ORPEN Sir William R.A. R.H.A. (1878-1931) ‘Petticoat Lane’: Sir Hugh Lane (1875-1915). Pen and ink. Inscribed and drawn on the reverse of a letter to Lane from and signed by Orpen. 8.5x5.5 inches. Framed: 15.5x12 inches. £1100
61. PASMORE Victor C.H. C.B.E. (1908-1998) ‘Nude’; study of the artist's wife, Wendy, for 'Studio of Ingres', oil (1945-1947). Pencil. Signed. Exhibited: Roland, Browse and Delbanco, December 1947 (to Rex de C Nan Kivell). 6.5x10.5 inches. Framed: 14.25x17.75 inches. £1500
We are grateful to Dr Alastair Grieve for identifying this drawing as a study for 'Studio of Ingres'.
62. PIPER John C.H. (1903-1992) ‘Appian Way I’. Pencil, crayon, watercolour and gouache. Signed. Circa 1960. Inscribed verso. 6.5x14 inches. £3500
63. POTTER Mary L.G. N.E.A.C. (1900-1981)
‘Terracotta Still Life’.
Watercolour. 1960. Exhibited: The New Art Centre.
9x5x13 inches. Framed: 16.5x20 inches.
64. RICHARDS Ceri C.B.E. (1903-1971)
Lyre Birds, drawn for ‘Poetry, London’.
Ink and watercolour. c.1945. Impressed Studio Stamp. Verso inscribed and dedicated to Anthony Dawson (1921-2006) by Frances Richards.
7x10 inches. Framed: 14.25x16.5 inches.
65. REYNOLDS Alan (1926-2014) ‘Modular Study’. Pencil. Signed, inscribed and dated, 1979. Ex. Collection: William and Edith Morgan. 17.5x17.5 inches. Framed: 28x28 inches. £4250
66. ROWNTREE Kenneth (1915-1997) ‘Mexican Church’. Watercolour. Signed and dated, 1958. 18.25x22.25 inches. Framed: 29x32 inches. £5750
67. SHEPARD Ernest Howard O.B.E. M.C. (1879-1976) ‘Paris, City of Contrasts’. Pen and ink. Signed. For Punch; initialled beneath the mount by the editor Kenneth Bird (‘Fougasse’). 12x18 inches. Framed: 20x25 inches. £3750
68. SCHWARZ Hans R.W.S. N.E.A.C. R.P. (1922-2003) The ear of the artist: self-portrait. Watercolour. Circa 1995. Provenance: the Artist’s Estate. 20x22 inches. Framed: 39.5x31 inches. £1100
69. SEARLE Ronald CBE (1920-2011)
‘The Boy Friend’.
Ink and crayon. The Wyndham Theatre 1954 Production. Signed and inscribed by the artist.
70. SIMPSON Joseph (1879-1939) Portrait of D H Lawrence (1885-1930). Charcoal and gouache. Signed. Illustrated: The Sunday Dispatch, 17.02.1929. 9.25x8.25 inches. Framed: 21x18.75 inches. £1500
71. SOUZA Francis Newton (1924-2002) Standing Nude. Pen and ink. Signed and dated, 1962. 13x8 inches. Framed: 19x13.5 inches.
72. SICKERT Walter Richard N.E.A.C. (1860-1940) The Violinist. Pencil, squared for transfer with red ink. 1922/23. Provenance: Andrina Sweder, sister of Mrs (Christine) Sickert, and by descent. We are grateful to Dr Wendy Baron for confirming this drawing. 13x10 inches. Framed: 21x17 inches. £3800
73. SOZONOV Valerie (mid-20th Century)
The beach at Scheveningen.
Pencil, watercolour and gouache. Signed and dated, 1932. Ex. Collection: Wyndham T. Vint, Bradford.
16x21.5 inches. Framed: 23x28 inches.
74. SPARE Austin Osman (1886-1956)
‘Mountains of the Moon’.
Pastels on tan paper. Signed and dated, 1955. Inscribed verso ‘Mountains of the Moon’ No.183 / By Austin Osman Spare 1888-1956 / Owned by Ernest Chapman / Owner of the Four O’Donnell Pearls’.
23.5x19 inches. Framed: 30x27 inches.
75. STAFFORD-BAKER Julius (1869-1961)
Bombed railway station, Foggia.
Ink and watercolour. Signed and dated, 22.6.1944. Provenance: The Artist’s Estate.
17x22.5 inches. Framed: 25x30 inches.
76. TONKS Professor Henry N.E.A.C. (1862-1937)
‘In the Garden’.
Pastels. Signed. Circa 1900. Ex. Collection: Wyndham T. Vint, Bradford. Exhibited: R. H. Spurr, Southport.
21x16.25 inches. Framed: 31x26.5 inches.
77. VAUGHAN Keith (1912-1977) ‘Three naked figures exercising’. Pencil. Studio stamp verso. Exhibited: Austin Desmond, 1989. 4.5x6.25 inches. Framed: 12.25x13.5 inches. £2750
79. VELLACOTT Elisabeth (1905-2002)
‘River Edw – Early Spring 1976’.
Graphite stick. Signed. Exhibited: The New Art Centre.
15.75x18.5 inches. Framed: 22x24.5 inches.
80. VERGE-SARRAT Henri (1880-1966)
‘La Loire et la Mont Corneville’.
Watercolour and gouache. Signed and dated, 1928.
81. VERNEY Sir John (1913-1993)
Pencil, crayon, gouache and collage. Signed and dated, 1948. Exhibited: Association of International Artists.
17x19 inches. Framed: 28x27 inches.
82. WHITE Clare (1903-1997)
Boat building, Barbados.
Pencil and watercolour. Signed.
14.5x19 inches. Framed: 22x26 inches.
83. YEATS John Butler (1839-1922)
‘Stephen Lucius Gwynne’ (1864-1950), the Irish author and politician.
Pencil. Signed and dated, October 1906.
84. WHITE Ethelbert R.W.S. S.W.E (1891-1972) ‘Upland Farm’. Watercolour. Circa 1930. Exhibited: Fine Art Society January, 1986 (Stock. No.W10/4). 9.5x12 inches. Framed: 20x21.75 inches. £1500