EXHIBITION OF TWENTIETH CENTURY
WATERCOLOURS AND DRAWINGS 2013
Saturday 7th September – Saturday 5th October
1. ARBUTHNOT Malcolm R.I. N.S. (1874-1967) The White House, Jersey. Watercolour. Signed. 11x15 inches. Framed: 18.5x22 inches.
2. ARDIZZONE Edward R.A. (1900-1979) ‘The Festival of Britain’. Pen and ink. 1951. Signed. 9x5.75 inches. Framed: 17x12.5 inches.
3. BANTING John (1902-1972)
‘Cross Country Leaf’.
Inks. ? Signed, inscribed and dated, ‘31’ on label verso. Ex. Collection: Eardley Knollys, the Storran Gallery.
17.25x11 inches. Framed: 26x20 inches.
4. BARNS-GRAHAM Wilhelmina (1912-2004)
‘Dialogue between sand and sea (Hayle)’.
Ink and watercolour. Signed and dated, 1981. Inscribed verso.
5x7.5 inches. Framed: 12.25x14.5 inches.
5. BEERBOHM Max N.E.A.C (1872-1956) ‘Lord William Nevill’ (1860-1939). Ink and watercolour. Signed and inscribed. 12x8 inches. Framed: 20x15 inches.
6. BELCHER George R.A. (1875-1947) ‘Mrs Laura Knight’. Charcoal, watercolour and ink. Circa 1925. Signed and inscribed. Possibly intended for Mr Punch’s Personalities. 15.5x11.75 inches. Framed: 22x17 inches.
7. BOMBERG David L.G. N.S. (1890-1957)
Imaginative Composition: ‘Bargee’.
Pencil, watercolour and gouache. Inscribed and signed by the artist’s widow verso ‘‘Bargee’ by David Bomberg, authenticated by Lilian Bomberg’. Also inscribed verso ‘1921’.
16.25x21 inches. Framed: 33x29 inches.
8. BONE Sir Muirhead N.E.A.C. (1876-1953) ‘The flag of the City and Giants, Corpus Christi Procession, the Ramblas, Barcelona’. Chalk and watercolour. Signed, inscribed and dated, 8th June 1928. Inscribed verso: ‘Corpus Christi Procession, Barcelona / City’s flag and the Giants, Corpus Christi Procession, Ramblas, Barcelona / for Popular Life chapter’. 14x10 inches. Framed: 20x15 inches.
9. BOXER Mark (1930-1988)
The Sporting Life.
Pen and ink. Signed ‘Marc’. Exhibited In Praise of Mark Boxer, Michael Parkin Gallery, 1988.
11.8 inches. Framed: 18x15 inches.
10. BOYD HARTE Glynn (1948-2003) ‘View from the Accademia’: Pensione Accademia Villa Maravege, Venice. Ink and watercolour. Signed. Inscribed verso. 24x18 inches. Framed: 32x26 inches.
11. BRATBY John R.A. (1928-1992) David Bratby, the artist’s son. Pencil and charcoal. Circa 1955. 20.5x13.5 inches. Framed: 28x20.5 inches.
12. BROCKHURST Gerald Leslie R.A. (1890-1978) ‘Irish Peasants’. Pen, brush and ink. Signed and dated, 1916. Ex. Collection: Wyndham T Vint. Exhibited: ‘A Dream of Fair Women’, Sheffield City Art Gallery, 1987. The woman on the right modeled for Brockhurst's print 'The Connemara Peasant' (1921). The print, and a study related to it are in the British Museum. 22x15.5 inches. Framed: 31x23.5 inches.
13. CAMERON Sir David Young R.A. R.S.A. (1865-1945)
‘On the Forth’.
Charcoal. Signed. Exhibited: Colnaghi.
12.75x19.5 inches. Framed: 23x30 inches.
14. CARRINGTON Dora (1893-1932) ‘Ralph Partridge’. Pencil. 1921. Provenance: Noel Carrington (1894-1989). Sothebys, 6.2.1985, lot 322. Exhibited: ‘Paintings and Drawings by Dora Carrington’, introduction by Noel Carrington, Christ Church Picture Gallery, Oxford, Feb-March 1978. 12x10 inches. Framed: 20x16.75 inches.
15. CHAPMAN George (1908-1993) ‘Sheep grazing’, Rhondda Valley. Charcoal. Circa 1960. Signed. Inscribed verso. 15x20 inches. Framed: 22x27 inches. £3000.
16. CLAUSEN Sir George R.A. (1852-1944) Barn interior. Charcoal. Signed. Study related to ‘The Barn at Deers Farm’, oil painting exhibited at the R.A. in 1911. 14x10.5. Framed: 18x22 inches.
17. CROSBIE William R.S.A. (1915-1999)
Ink and watercolour. Circa 1947. Signed. Exhibited: Aitken Dott Gallery.
12.5x16 inches. Framed: 23x28 inches.
18. DAINTRY Adrian (1902-1988)
‘Le Grand Vefour’, Palais Royal, Paris.
Pen and ink. Circa 1930. Signed and inscribed.
9.75x13.5 inches. Framed: 16x19 inches.
19. EPSTEIN Sir Jacob L.G. (1880-1959)
Epping Forest: Autumn.
Gouache. Circa 1930. Signed.
17x22 inches. Framed: 25x30 inches.
20. EURICH Richard R.A. N.E.A.C. (1903-1992)
Head of a Girl.
Pencil. Signed and dated, 1929. Exhibited: Fine Art Society.
12x9 inches. Framed: 19x15.5 inches.
21. FOX-PITT Douglas L.G. (1864-1922)
‘Place Nationale, Dieppe’.
Chalk and watercolour. Circa 1910. Signed.
15x12 inches. Framed: 22.5x18.75 inches.
22. FRASER Eric (1902-1984)
‘Fear of the future’.
Ink, watercolour and gouache. Signed. Painted for I.C.I Metals, July 1947.
10x10 inches. Framed: 17.5x16.75 inches.
23. FRINK Dame Elizabeth R.A. (1930-1993) ‘The Dead Cat’. Pen, brush and ink. Signed and dated, 1957. Exhibited: No.37, ‘Loan Exhibition of Modern Art’, Royal Albert Memorial Museum, Exeter, 1960. 30x10.5 inches. Framed: 36x17 inches.
24. GAUDIER-BRZESKA Henri (1891-1915) Couple Walking. Chalk, brush and ink. Provenance: Sophie Brzeska to Jim Ede (his inscription on Marlborough Gallery label) Exhibited: Marlborough Gallery, 1965. 10x8 inches. Framed: 17.5x14.75 inches.
25. GERTLER Mark L.G. N.E.A.C (1930-1993) Christine Mavrogordato on a day bed Pencil and crayon. Circa 1928. Provenance: the grandson of the sitter. Study related to the oil portrait of Christine Mavrogordato exhibited at the Leicester Galleries in 1928 and now in Tel Aviv Museum. 10x16.75 inches. Framed: 16.5x 23 inches
26. GLASHAN John (1927-1999)
‘A Liege of ninety winters…’
Pen, brush and ink. Signed and inscribed. Commission for Queen magazine, 1968.
18x15.5 inches. Framed: 25x23 inches.
27. GOODFELLOW Reginald (1894-1985)
‘Verlaine and Chrysanthemums’.
Ink and watercolour. Circa 1930. Signed.
17.5x12.5 inches. Framed: 25x19.5 inches.
28. GRANT Duncan L.G. (1885-1978) Preliminary design for a cross-stich stool cover. Pencil and gouache. Circa 1924-24. Richard Shone kindly suggests this may be for the stool at 37 Gordon Square illustrated Bloomsbury Portraits No.148, p.204 (Ed.1993). 17.5x18.5 inches. Framed: 26.25x27.25 inches.
29. HALL Patrick (1906-1992)
‘Covered Market, Chioggia’.
Mixed media. Exhibited: Marjorie Parr Gallery.
19x21 inches. Framed: 27x28 inches.
30. HAMBLING Maggi C.B.E (b.1945) Sunrise: ‘17.8.88’. Watercolour. Signed and dated. 19x24 inches. Framed: 23.5x28.5 inches.
31. HAMILTON Cuthbert (1885-1959)
Sculptural figure studies.
Blue crayon. Inscribed or signed and dated, (19)13.
18x15 inches. Framed: 24x20.5 inches.
32. HAMNETT Nina (1890-1956)
Pencil, pen and ink. Dated April 1919.
10x17 inches. Framed: 17.5x23.5 inches.
33. HECKROTH Hein (1901-1970)
‘Costume design for the Negro Majordomo’,
Watercolour and gouache design for the ballet Magic Mirror, Jooss Ballet Co, 1935. Signed. Provenance: the artist to John Carr Doughty.
12.5x9.5 inches. 19.75x16 inches.
34. HOLMES Sir Charles N.E.A.C. R.W.S. (1868-1936) ‘The Pillar Rock’. Ink, watercolour and gouache. Signed, inscribed and dated 1928. Exhibited: Tokyo, 1929. Ex. Collection: Prince Chichibu (1902-1953) 13.5x10.25 inches. Framed: 21.5x17.5 inches.
35. HONE Evie H.R.H.A. (1894-1955)
Woods at Marley, Co Dublin.
Pencil and gouache. Signed and dated, 1932.
12.5x9.25 inches. Framed: 20x16 inches.
36. HOUSTON John R.S.A. (b.1930) ‘Setting Sun over the sea II’. Water colour. Signed. Dated 1987 on backing. Exhibited: Cyril Gerber Gallery. 9.5x12 inches. Framed: 20x22 inches.
37. HUBBARD John (b.1931) ‘Reflection’. Oil on paper. 23x31 inches. Framed: 32x41 inches. Signed. Ex. Collection: Iris Murdoch.
38. HURRY Leslie (1909-1978)
Ink and watercolour. Signed and dated, 1941. Exhibited: Redfern Gallery, August 1941. Ex. Collection: Mr F. A. Mott.
17x21 inches. Framed: 23x26 inches.
39. JOHN Augustus O.M. R.A. (1878-1961)
Pen, brush and ink. 13x9.5 inches. Framed: 21x17 inches.
Exhibited: Exhibition of works by Augustus John, Royal Academy, 1954. 13x9.5 inches. Framed: 21x17 inches.
40. JOHN Gwen (1876-1939)
Pencil. Circa 1907. Studio stamp. Verso: Chloe Boughton Leigh. Pencil.
Provenance: Edwin John (EJ.1357 verso). Davis & Langdale, New York. Anthony d’Offay. Barry Flanagan R.A.
Of the three paintings of Boughton-Leigh by John this drawing relates most closely to that in the Tate.
9.5x6.25 inches. Framed: 16x13 inches.
41. JOHNSTONE Gwyneth (1914-2010)
Ink and gouache. Circa 1960. Exhibited: Goldmark Gallery.
15x19 inches. Framed: 26x29.5 inches.
42. JOLIFFE Margaret (flourished 1925-1955)
‘Looking down on Mecklenburgh Square’.
Watercolour and gouache. Signed and dated, 1935.
10x13 inches. Framed: 12.5x15.25 inches.
43. KADAR Bela (1877-1955) ‘Dream City’. Gouache. Signed. Exhibited: Mercury Gallery, 1975. Ex. Collection: Samuel Montague Ltd. 6.5 x 9.25 inches. Framed: 15x17.75 inches. £4000.
44. KNIGHT Dame Laura R.A. R.W.S. (1877-1970) ‘On the Olympic’. The 'Olympic' was a White Star liner that sailed from Southampton to New York. Laura Kight boarded her"http://www.abbottandholder-thelist.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/UKOutwardPassengerLists1890-1960ForLauraKnight.jpg">CLICK HERE to view the 1st Class passenger list on which she appears. Chalk. Signed, inscribed and dated, 1922. 11.75x9.25 inches. Framed: 18.5x16 inches.
45. KRAMER Jacob (1892-1962)
The Artist’s Mother: Cecilia Kramer.
Black and white chalks. Circa 1914. Signed.
17x13 inches. Framed: 24x19.5 inches.
46. LANCASTER Sir Osbert (1908-1986)
Ink, watercolour and gouache. Signed. Inscribed verso. Design for the Cranko ballet, Sadler’s Wells, 1952.
10.75x12 inches. Framed: 17.5 x 19 inches.
47. LEISHMAN Robert R.S.W. S.S.A. (1916-1989)
‘Black and White’.
Watercolour. 1983. Exhibited: Duncan Miller Fine Arts. Ex. Collection: Ingrams, Garsington Manor.
7x7.5 inches. Framed: 9x9.75 inches.
48. LESSORE Therese (1884-1945) ‘Dignity and Impudence’, the Olympia Circus. Pencil and watercolour. Circa 1928. Exhibited: The Savile Gallery. Ex. Collection: Mr J. McDonald. 6.5x8.25 inches. Framed: 14x14.75 inches.
49. MACMIADHACHAIN Padraig (b.1929)
‘Evening Party, Marrakech’.
Gouache and crayon. Signed, inscribed and dated 1991.
9x12.5 inches. Framed: 16x18.5 inches.
50. MATANIA Fortunino (1881-1963)
‘Stretcher bearers under fire’.
Watercolour and gouache painted en grisaille for The Sphere. Signed. Verso: Signed, dated 16th September 1917 and inscribed ‘Sphere/ Front page’.
51. MCEVOY Ambrose A.R.A. (1878-1927) Portrait of a child. Pencil and watercolour. Circa 1920. Exhibited: Spinks. 15.75x11.5 inches. Framed: 23x18 inches.
52. MINTON John (1917-1957) ‘Michelin into Bastia’, Corsica. Pen and ink. 1947. Inscribed verso by the artist ‘relates to para / Michelin into Bastia’. Lit: ‘Time was Away’, Alan Ross, 1948. 7x6.5 inches. Framed: 15x14 inches.
53. MOORE William Stanley (1914-c.1975)
‘York Blitz/ York Minster reflected in the light / of fires morning of April 29/ (19)42’.
Pencil, watercolour and gouache. Signed, inscribed and dated.
24x19 inches. Framed: 31x26 inches.
54. MORRISON James R.S.A. R.S.W. (b.1932)
‘Kinnaird Estate I’.
Watercolour and ink. Exhibited: No.31, Aitken Dott and Son, May, 1975.
23.5x39 inches. Framed: 26.5x42 inches.
55. MOYNIHAN Rodrigo R.A. L.G. (1910-1990) ‘Canteen’. Pencil and wash. Signed and dated, (19)41. Exhibited: Imperial War Museum, The End of the Picnic, June-August 1998. 12.5x10 inches. Framed: 25.5x20.5 inches.
56. NASH Paul (1889-1946)
Cros de Cagnes.
Pencil and crayon. Drawn between 1925-1927. Indistinctly inscribed on original backing by the artist. Ex. Collection: Lance Sieveking.
5.25x8 inches. Framed: 12x15 inches.
57. NEWTON Algernon R.A. (1880-1968)
‘Sunshine through fog – from Tower Bridge’.
Ink and watercolour. Signed and dated 1928. Inscribed verso.
10x15 inches. 15x20 inches.
58. NICHOLSON Rachel (b.1934)
‘Goblet on green’.
Gouache on card. Signed and dated 1985 verso of frame. Exhibited: Montpelier Studio.
6.75x6 inches. Framed: 10.75x9.75 inches.
59. OVENDEN Graham B.R. (b.1943)
‘Cathy silently turned her face’: ‘Wuthering Heights’.
Pencil. Signed and dated, 1980. Exhibited: Piccadilly Gallery.
9x7 inches. Framed: 14.5x12 inches.
60. PHILLIPS Tom R.A. (b.1937)
Collage. Signed and indistinctly dated. Circa 1977. Exhibited: Gimpel Fils.
3.5x6.25 inches. Framed: 11.25x13.75 inches.
61. PIPER John L.G. (1903-1992) ‘Taillebourg, Charente’. Mixed media. Signed. Exhibited: Mercury Gallery, 1968. 9x14 inches. Framed: 13x18 inches. £7750.
62. PROCKTOR Patrick R.A. (1936-2003)
Sunset: ‘March 4th’.
Watercolour. Signed and dated. Exhibited: Redfern Gallery, 1970. Ex. Collection: Earl of Perth.
9x20 inches. Framed: 17x27 inches.
63. PRYDE James (1866-1941)
Ink and watercolour. Signed. Exhibited: Christopher Hull Gallery. Ex. Collection: Ingrams, Garsington Manor.
6.25x5.5 inches. Framed: 18x17 inches.
64. REYNOLDS Alan (b.1926)
‘Forms black and yellow’.
Watercolour. Signed. Exhibited: Redfern Gallery, 1962.
12.5x10 inches. Framed: 22x18 inches.
65. RUSHBURY Sir Henry R.A. R.W.S. (1889-1968)
‘SS Domenico e Sisto’, Rome.
Pencil and watercolour. Lit. and ill: Sir Rennell Rodd, Rome, publ. 1932. p.96,
15x12 inches. Framed: 23x18.75 inches.
66. SEARLE Ronald C. B.E. (1920-2011)
‘The Columnist': with stars of stage and screen.
Pen and ink. Circa 1955. Signed. Artist’s stamp verso.
11x13.25 inches. Framed: 19.5x21.5 inches.
67. SENIOR Mark (1864-1927)
‘At the Bar’.
Pastel. Signed and dated, 1903.
13.5x9.75 inches. Framed: 22x17 inches.
68. SHANNON Charles Hazelwood R.A. N.P.S. (1863-1937)
Red and black chalks. Signed and dated, 1911.
11x16 inches. Framed: 18.5x22.5 inches.
69. SICKERT Walter Richard N.E.A.C. (1860-1942) Chagford, Devon (WB.487/5) Ink, watercolour and gouache on buff toned paper. 1916. Signed. Ex. Collections: Dr Robert Emmons. Howard Bliss. Wilfrid Evill. Miss Honor Frost. Ruth Bromberg. Exhibited: From Gainsborough to Hitchens – H, Bliss Collection, Leicester Galleries, 1950. Wilfrid Evill Memorial Exhibition, Brighton Art Gallery, no.173, 1965. 8x11.75 inches. Framed: 15.75x18.75 inches.
70. STEER Philip Wilson N.E.A.C. (1860-1942)
Woods near Bridgnorth.
Watercolour. 1925. Signed. Ex. Collection: Sir Eric Maclagan (1879-1951) (Director of the V & A 1924-1945)
7x10 inches. Framed: 13x15 inches.
71. STONE Reynolds (1909-1979)
‘Old Rectory, Winter’, Litton Cheney.
Ink and watercolour on blue/grey paper. Signed.
14x21 inches. Framed: 21x27.5 inches.
72. SWANWICK Betty R.A. (1915-1989) ‘The Fancy Hat’. Gouache and stencil. Signed. 10.75x12.25 inches. Framed: 18x18.5 inches.
73. SZASZ Paul (1912-1969)
Charcoal. Signed and dated, 1952.
29x20 inches. Framed: 34.5x25 inches.
74. TENNANT Stephen (1905-1987)
‘La Dame aux Camellias/ or possibly ‘La Traviata’.
Ink and watercolour design for a theatre drop. Inscribed beneath the mount. Provenance: Sotheby’s Tennant Sale, Wilsford, 1987. Ex. Collection: Ingrams, Garsington Manor. 14.75x10 inches. Framed: 22x17inches.
75. TOPOLSKI Feliks R.A. (1907-1989)
‘Christian Dior Opening / Les Collections de haute couture, Printemps-Ete’.
Pencil and ink. Signed, inscribed and dated, 1957.
14x10 inches. Framed: 20x15.75 inches.
76. WALKER Dame Ethel N.E.A.C. A.R.A. (1861-1951) The Bathers. Pencil and watercolour. Circa 1920. Ex. Collection: Peter Langan. 18x14 inches. Framed: 27x22 inches. £1250.
77. WARD John (1917-2007)
Pencil and watercolour. Signed and dated, 1978.
10.5x15.5 inches. Framed: 19x22.5 inches.
78. WEIGHT Carel R.A. (1908-1997)
10x12 inches. Framed: 17x19 inches.
79. WHITE Clare (1902-1977)
Bridgetown, Barbados: ‘Pride and Industry’.
Pencil and watercolour. Signed.
14x19.75 inches. Framed: 22x26 inches.
80. WILLIAMS Sir Kyffin R.A. (1918-2006)
Brush and ink. Signed and dedicated ‘to PN’.
9.5x13 inches. Framed: 17x20.5 inches.
81. WOOD Christopher (1901-1930)
L’Enfant Terrible: ‘Jean Bourgoint asleep’
Pencil. Circa 1926. Signed and dedicated ‘a Jean B. / un souvenir d’une belle soiree’. Also inscribed ‘From H. J. Ede’.
Exhibited: The Redfern Gallery (5th April 1937 to Anthony Buckley).
9.5x12.25 inches. Framed: 17x18.5 inches.