Paintings and Prints
26th April – 7th May 2016
To coincide with the May Issue of
THE WORLD OF INTERIORS
featuring the artist’s house and studio
CLICK HERE to read the article, reproduced by kind permission of the World of Interiors
CLICK HERE to read an article on the exhibition published in the On The Hill magazine
Private View Tuesday 26th April 6 – 9 pm
NOTE: Nothing will be sold before the exhibition opens at 6pm on Tuesday 26th April.
Richard Beer has a big romance for Abroad, especially when it is Abroad as evoked by Frank Matcham in Blackpool’s Tower Ballroom or the wonderful Barocco dilapidations of Southern Europe. One still senses the thrill with which a boy whose teenage years had been coloured by the War hit Paris after 5 years at the Slade with a French Government Scholarship to study at Stanley Hayters Atelier 17. At the Slade he had studied stage design with Polunin before moving to the paintings school where he found the part-time teachers, Lucien Freud, Graham Sutherland and Keith Vaughan inspirational. So the disciplines of printmaking added to an already developing character as an artist. He loves architecture; domestic, grand, idiosyncratic. Small figures sometimes bring humorous justification to the scene but actually they often aren’t needed. The scenery is good enough to tell the story on it’s own.
1928: Richard Beer born
1945-50: Slade School of Art
1950: Paris (French Government Scholarship to Ecole des Beaux Arts and Hayter’s Atelier 17).
1955: First designed sets for the Royal Opera House (Cranko’s Lady and the Fool) and ballets for Deutsche Oper, Berlin and Staatsteater, Stuttgart.
The artist has published numerous prints, exhibited widely and has works in many great collections. He has taught at the Slade, the British School in Rome and at Chelsea school of Art.
1. Ice cream seller, Venice. Oil/canvas. 1955. Signed. 20x30 inches. ●
2. Adriatic siesta, Porto San Giorgio, the Marche. Oil/canvas. 1975. Signed. 25x30 inches. ●
3. Beach Huts, Albeburgh. Oil/canvas. 2003. Signed. 14x26 inches. ●
4. Alfarma bedroom window, Lisbon. Oil/canvas. 1985. Signed. 36x28 inches. ●
5. Cafe de France, Essaouira, Morocco. Oil/canvas. 2001. Signed. 24x20 inches. ●
6. Via dei Tribunali, Naples. Oil/canvas. 2004. Signed. 24x20 inches. ●
7. Barbi the goat and Marina, Casalta, San Rocco a Pilli, near Siena. Oil/canvas. 1975. Signed. ●
8. The Arsenale gateway, Venice. Oil/canvas. 1975. Signed. 44x31 inches. ●
9. Tower Ballroom, Blackpool. Oil/canvas. 1995. Signed. 30x20 inches. ●
10. The Aragonese Castle, Ischia. Oil on canvas. 1975. Signed. 20x16 inches.
11. ‘Pharmacia’, Morocco. Oil on canvas. 2003. Signed.
12. Taroudant, Morocco. Oil on canvas. 2003. Signed. 24x20 inches.
13. View from a Zattere altana over the Giudecca to the Redentore. Venice. Oil on canvas. 1975. Signed. 30x20 inches.
14. Almacende/Merceria, near the Plaza Mayor, Madrid. Oil/canvas. 1980. Signed. 30x20 inches. ●
15. Au Petit Nice, Nyons. Oil/canvas. 1990. Signed. 30x20 inches. ●
16. Da Beppe, Colle di Val d’Elsa, near Siena. Oil on canvas. Signed and dated, 1979. 60x47 inches.
17. The Cathedral, Ragusa, Sicily. Oil/canvas. Signed and dated, 1979. 60x47 inches. ●
18. Lighting up time, via dei Tribunali, Naples. Oil/canvas. 2004. Signed. 20x16 inches. ●
19. ‘Discovered by Esmond Devas’: Café de la Paix, Valreas, Vaucluse. Oil/canvas. 1989. Signed. 48x28 inches. ●
20. Shops near the Souk, Essaouira, Morocco. Oil/canvas. 2001. Signed. 30x20 inches. ●
21. Taroudan, Morocco. Oil on canvas. 2003. Signed. 42x24 inches.
22. Waiting, Dieppe. Oil/canvas. 1975. Signed. 14x10 inches. ●
23. Commachio, near Ferrara. Oil/canvas. 1995. Signed. 14x12 inches. ●
24. Courtyard, Grenada. Oil/canvas. 2000. Signed. 10x12 inches. ●
25. Festa decorations, Puglia. Oil on canvas. 1975. Signed. 20x24 inches.
26. The Vucciria, Palermo. Oi/canvas. 1990. Signed. 48x24 inches. ●
27. School’s playground near Ronda. Oil on canvas. 2000. Signed. 20x24 inches.
28. ‘Cadiz’. Etching and aquatint. Signed, editioned 2/10 and inscribed. 15.5x11.5 inches. ●
29. ‘San Marco’, Venice. Etching and aquatint. Signed, editioned 35/100 and inscribed. 23.75x17.5 inches. ●
30. ‘Café de la Paix’. Etching and aquatint. Artists’s Proof. Signed and inscribed. 24x17 inches. ●
31. ‘Market Café’. Etching and aquatint. Artist’s Proof. Signed and inscribed. 19.25x15.5 inches. ●
32. ‘Piazza Armerina II’. Etching and aquatint. Artist’s Proof. Signed and inscribed. 23.5x17.75 inches. ●
33. ‘Bilbao’. Etching and aquatint. Signed, editioned 4/10 and inscribed. 19.25x14.5 inches. ●
34. ‘Hackney Empire I’. Etching and aquatint. Signed, editioned 15/25 and inscribed. 23.25x12.25 inches. ●
35. ‘Palermo’. Etching and aquatint. Signed, editioned 5/10 and inscribed. 20.5x11.5 inches. ●
36. ‘Hackney Empire II’. Etching and aquatint. Signed, editioned 25/25 and inscribed. 23.5x11.75 inches.