498 – GEN
1. ANON. Middle European Hand. Circa 1840. Dog studies. Pencil and watercolour. Inscribed in German. 9.5x13 inches. Framed: 16.25x19.5 inches. £675.
2. ANON. ‘G.H.’ Circa 1800. ‘The Monk / - ‘rubbing his horn Box on the Sleeve of his Tunick (sic) / Sterne’. Ink and watercolour. Signed with initials and inscribed. 5.5x4 inches, the page. £75.
3. ABBOTT John White (1763-1851) Rosslyn Castle. Ink and watercolour on joined paper. 1791. Exhibited: Colnaghi. 7.5x16.75 inches. Framed: 16x25 inches. £5000.
4. ANON. Circa 1950. The Crescent. Oil on board. 12x16 inches. Framed: 15x18.75 inches. £375.
5. ANON. Circa 1795. Head of a Country Girl. Red, white and black chalks. 8.25x6.25 inches, oval. £375.
6. BASKIN Leonard (1922-2000) Seed Heads, Mouse and Insects. Wood engraving. Signed. 2.75x3.75 inches. £75.
7. ARDIZZONE Edward R.A. (1900-1971) ‘On the Beach, (Sheerness)’ (NAP.51). Etching and aquatint. Artist’s Proof. 1953. 2nd state. Signed and inscribed. 5x8 inches. £975.
8. ARDIZZONE Edward R.A. (1900-1971) A lively Pub. Pen, brush and ink. Circa 1938. Possibly for the ‘Radio Times’. Provenance: A Lot of three Ardizzone drawings, the other two of which were for the ‘Radio Times’, Sothebys Mod. Brit. Sale 6.10.1993. 7x6 inches. Framed: 16x14.25 inches. £2200.
9. BIRCH Samuel John ‘Lamorna’ R.A. R.W.S. (1869-1955) ‘Frosty evening at Sancreed, near Lands End’. Oil on panel. Signed. Inscribed verso. 13x15.75 inches. Framed: 16.5x19.5 inches. £3250.
10. BEATON Sir Cecil (1904-1980) Study of a young Officer. Pen and ink. Circa 1945. Provenance: Derek Dodd (1937-2018) Film and Theatre Designer. 14x9 inches. Framed: 24x18.25 inches. £1200.
11. AUSTIN Robert Sargent R.A. P.R.W.S. P.R.E. (1895-1973) Weary Travellers, Italy. Charcoal study. Circa 1920. Signed. Provenance: Artist’s Estate. 26x21 inches. Framed: 32x27.75 inches. £375.
12. BELLINGHAM-SMITH Eleanor (1906-1988) Girls fishing. Brush, ink and watercolour. Circa 1950. Signed. 18.75x12 inches. £675.
13. BRANGWYN Sir Frank R.A. R.E. (1867-1946) ‘The Inn of the Parrot’, Dixmuden. (WG.131). Etching and aquatint. 1908. Signed. 21.5x14.75 inches. Framed: 30x21.75 inches. £575.
14. BRANGWYN Sir Frank R.A. R.E. (1867-1956) ‘Near Florence’ (W.G.272). Etching. 1920. Signed. 12.75x15.25 inches. £400.
15. BLANCH Xavier (1918-1999) Spanish shepherd. Brush and ink. 1950. Signed. 20x15.75 inches. £875.
16. CAMP Jeffrey R.A. (b.1923) ‘Cuckmere’. Oil on board. Signed. Exhibited: Browse and Darby. 11x12 inches irregular oval. £1200.
17. BUCK Adam (1759-1833) Girl on a terrace. Ink, watercolour and gouache. Signed and dated, 1807. Exhibited: Colnaghi as ‘A Girl smelling Geraniums’. 8.75x6 inches. Framed: 16x13 inches. £2750.
18. BUHLER Robert R.A. (1916-1969) Portrait of a fellow art student. Oil on canvas. Stretcher stamped: ‘This board is the property of St Martin’s Art School’. Circa 1935. Signed. 24x20 inches. Framed: 32x28 inches. £1100.
19. CALLOW William O.W.S. (1812-1908) Castle above a river valley. Watercolour and gouache. Circa 1870. Signed. 10x19 inches. Framed: 18.25x27 inches. £1250.
20. CARTER Samuel John (1835-1892) Spanish Matadors selecting young bulls. Black chalk on grey green paper. Signed and dated, 1853. 14.5x21 inches. Framed: 23x28.5 inches. £350.
21. CALLOW William O.W.S. (1812-1908) A View of Mainz. Ink and watercolour. Circa 1835. Exhibited: Colnaghi. 5.5x11 inches. Framed: 14x19.5 inches. £1250.
22. COSWAY Richard R.A. (1742-1821) Portrait of Sarah Ley (b.c.1771), Mrs Richard Tickell from 1789. Pencil and watercolour. Engraved 1791 by Jean Conde (1765-1794). Exhibited: The Royal Academy, 'Winter Exhibition', 1954-55, no.504; The National Portrait Gallery, 'The Masque of Beauty', 1972, no.56. Arched 9x5.5 inches. Framed: 19x14.5 inches. £8750.
23. COLLINGWOOD SMITH William O.W.S. (1815-1887) ‘Reading’. Black chalks and gouache on tan paper. Signed and indistinctly dated, 183(8?). 10.5x8.5 inches. Framed: 18.5x15.5 inches. £375.
24. CLARKE HALL Edna (1879-1979) Sailing at Gillan Cove; study of a girl in the Clarke Hall boat. Pencil and watercolour. Circa 1920. Provenance: Denis Clarke Hall. 13x9 inches. £375.
25. COX David O.W.S. (1782-1842) (Follower of) A haywain. Watercolour. Provenance: An album of watercolours by the same hand and dated, 1865-66, Sotheby’s 31.7.1989. 4.5x5.75 inches. £225.
26. COX David O.W.S. (1782-1842) Harvesters. Watercolour. Signed and dated, 1824. Exhibited by Colnaghi as ‘In the Wye Valley’. 9x11 inches. Framed: 1.5x19.5 inches. £4000.
27. COX David Jnr (1809-1885) Hever Castle. Watercolour and gum arabic. Circa 1850. 14x20.25 inches. £675.
28. COLQUHOUN Robert (1914-1962) ‘Ryefield’ Pencil and ink sketch from a sketchbook with 33 pages dated between 1930-40; Phillips Auctioneers, Mod. Brit. sale 14.1.1992. Inscribed and indistinctly dated/? numbered. 4.5x7.75 inches. £500.
29. COTMAN John Sell (1782-1842) A dilapidated cottage. Pencil. Circa 1815. Teaching drawing numbered ‘903’ and inscribed (possibly signed). Provenance: from an album of 32 Cotman drawings from the Collection of Charles Nicholls, exhibited by Cyril Fry in 1977. 7.75x10 inches. Framed: 15.75x17.5 inches. £3750.
30. DANIELL William R.A. (1756-1837) ‘Golachine White House’, ‘Near Jamma Musjid, Raj Mehal’ (sic). Pencil, brush and sepia washes. Inscribed on the sheet, and on the mount. Exhibited: Agnews (No. 24215). 13x19.5 inches. Framed: 21x27 inches. £1850.
31. DE CURZON Alfred (1820-1895) ‘Bords du Doubs a Audincourt’. Charcoal. Signed. 14.25x20 inches. £225.
32. DOWNMAN John A.R.A. (1750-1824) Portrait of a child. Chalk and watercolour. Signed and dated, 178(4 or 9). 7.25x6 inches, oval. Framed: 15.5x14 inches. £1100.
33. DODD Francis R.A. (1874-1949) ‘Hampstead’. Watercolour. Signed and inscribed. 9x11.5 inches. Framed: 17.75 x19.75 inches. £575.
34. EASTON Timothy (b.1943) ‘Haw Frost, Morning’. Oil on canvas. Signed. Exhibited: Bourne Gallery, 1997. 26x30 inches. Framed: 31x35 inches. £1250.
35. DU NOYER George Victor (1817-1869) ‘Launch of the Duchess of Leinster at Kingston, Monday March 20th’. Pencil. Inscribed, and ‘2 Cols.in best style/ and ‘Mr Du Noyer / Landymount Avenue / Dublin’. Later inscribed verso, by his daughter Charlotte Eugene: ‘Launch of the Brig ‘Duchess of Leinster. Kingstown, March 20th, 1843’. Provenance: Album of studies by Illustrated London News illustrator Ebenezer Landells. 8.5x15 inches. £225.
36. EARDLEY Joan (1921-1963) Study of moored fishing boats. Charcoal and chalks. Signed. Circa 1955. 5.5x5.5 inches. Framed: 12x11 inches. £4250. See framed
37. EDRIDGE Henry A.R.A. (1768-1821) Portrait of a scholarly gentleman. Pencil and watercolour. Circa 1805. Exhibited: Colnaghi. 13.5x9.75 inches. Framed: 21.5x17.75 inches. £675.
38. EGYPT (subject) Anon. ‘Sunset on the Nile, 9th January, 1880’. Pencil and chalk on grey paper. Inscribed and dated. 5x8.5 inches. £175.
39. EDRIDGE Henry A.R.A. (1768-1821) Portrait of a Lady. Pencil and watercolour. Circa 1805. Exhibited: Colnaghi. 15x11 inches. Framed: 23.5x19 inches. £850.
40. GIBBS Jonathan (born c.1955) ‘Path to the Hills’. Pastel. Signed. Exhibited: Open Eye Gallery, Edinburgh. 8.5x10.75 inches. Framed: 17x19.5 inches. £475.
41. ELDRIDGE Mildred R.W.S. (1909-1991) River Crossing. Oil on canvas. Circa 1935. Signed. Provenance: Gwydion Thomas 30x27 inches. Framed: 35x32 inches. £6000.
42. FARINGTON Joseph RA (1747-1821) A View on the Medway. Ink and watercolour. Exhibited: Colnaghi. 8x11 inches. £575.
43. FIELDING Newton Smith Limbird (1799-1856) A brindled hound. Ink and watercolour. Signed and dated, 1825. 4.5x7.75 inches. £475.
44. FIELDING Anthony Vandyke Copley P.O.W.S. (1787-1855) The South Downs near Brighton. Watercolour. Signed and dated, 1841. 6x8.75 inches. Framed: 15.75x18.75 inches £1500.
45. FIELDING Anthony Vandyke Copley P.O.W.S. (1787-1855) ‘Cader Idris / Merionethshire / N.Wales’. Watercolour. Inscribed verso. Possibly cut down from a larger watercolour. 4.25x3.25 inches. £95.
46. GARRARD Ian (1927-1985) ‘ Primulaceae, Buddlejaceae, Oleaceae, Apocyanaceae and Gentianaceae’. Ink and watercolour. Signed. Ill: Pl.58 ‘The Wild Flowers of the British Isles’, with illustrations by Ian Garrard and text by David Streeter, MacMillan, 1983. 13x18.25 inches. Unmounted. £200.
47. GARRARD Ian (1927-1985) ‘Scrophulariaceae’. Ink and watercolour. Signed. Ill: Pl.68 ‘The Wild Flowers of the British Isles’, with illustrations by Ian Garrard and text by David Streeter, MacMillan, 1983. 13x18.25 inches. Unmounted. £200.
48. GARRARD Ian (1927-1985)'Compositae'. Ink and watercolour. Signed. Ill: Pl.85, ‘The Wild Flowers of the British Isles’, with illustrations by Ian Garrard and text by David Streeter, MacMillan, 1983. 13x18.25 inches. Unmounted. £200.
49. GREEN Amos (1735-1807) ‘Matlock’. Pencil. Inscribed and dated, 1800. Provenance: An album of Green’s sketches, Christies, 8.7.1986. 9x14 inches. £125.
50. GILL Eric (1882-1940) ‘The Symbol of Christ Crucified’ (P.46). Wood engraving. 1915. Proof. Provenance: Given to his Chaplain Dr Flood by Gill. 6.5x4.25 inches. £375.
51. GILL Eric (1882-1940) ‘Cantet Nunc Lo’ (P.75). Wood engraving. 1916. Proof. Signed. Given to his Chaplain Dr Flood by Gill. 2x2 inches. £775.
52. GRIMM Stanley R.P. P.R.O.I. N.S. (1891-1966) A Cornish harbour. Ink and gouache. Signed. Circa 1935. Ex. Collection: Wyndham T Vint, Bradford. Exhibited: British Institute of Adult Education (as ‘Newlyn’). 14x20 inches. Framed: 22x27 inches. £1500.
53. HARE Augustus John (1834-1903) ‘Ford Castle’, Northumberland with very possibly his friend Louisa, Marchioness of Waterford on the terrace steps. Watercolour. Inscribed verso by the artist. 9.5x13.5 inches. Framed: 18.25x21.25 inches. £475.
54. HARE Augustus John (1834-1903) ‘Little Thurlow – Grammar School of Sir John Soane’. Watercolour. Inscribed verso by the artist. 9.5x13.5 inches. Framed: 18.25x21.25 inches. £275.
55. HARTWELL William John (1922-1995) ‘Winter Woodlands’. Watercolour and gouache. Signed and dated, 1950. 11x14.5 inches. Framed: 18.5x22 inches. £1250.
56. HAYWARD John Samuel (1778-1822) ‘At Leghorn (Livorno), a Greek’. Watercolour on sketchbook page. Signed, inscribed and dated, 21st September 1802’. 4x6.25 inches. £150.
57. HERTFORDSHIRE (subject) ANON. ‘St Alban’s Abbey from the Park at Gorhambury’, Hertfordshire. Watercolour. Inscribed and dated, 1801, verso. 9x12.25 inches. £95.
58. HINE William Egerton (1851-1926) ‘Charterhouse School from the Hog’s Back’. Watercolour. Signed, inscribed and dated, 1912. 14.5x21 inches. £275.
59. HUMPHREY Ozias R.A. (1742-1810) Study for the portrait of a Gentleman. Pencil and watercolour. Exhibited: Colnaghi, as of the Duke of Montrose. 11.75x6.75 inches. Framed: 18.75x14.5 inches. £600.
60. HUNT Alfred William (1830-1896)
Clovelly Harbour, Devon.
Watercolour. Remains of signature bottom right. Provenance: Lot 169, Newall Sale, Christies 13-14th December, 1979. Probable Exhibition: No.452, OWS 1864/65. Lit: No.29. ‘A.W. Hunt’, Burlington Fine Arts Club, 1897.
7.5x10.5 inches. Framed: 15.5x17.5 inches.
61. INDIA (subject) Circa 1830. ‘A budgerow’ (boat) on the Ganges. Watercolour. Circa 1830. Inscribed. 9.75x12.75 inches. £975.
62. JACOBI Otto Reinhard P.R.C.A. (1812 Konigsberg-1901 Canada) Castle by a lake. Capriccio. Ink and watercolour. Signed and dated, 1846. 7x3.5 inches. £175.
63. KEELEY John (1849-1930) ‘Among the Coal Pits, Staffordshire’. Watercolour. Signed. Inscribed on the artist’s label. 9.5x9 inches. £975.
64. LAKE DISTRICT (subject) ‘Coniston Water’ Brush and ink on blue paper. 1808. Accompanied by a homily. 5.5x9 inches. Framed: 21x16.25 inches. £175. Click here for the homily.
65. LAKE DISTRICT (subject) ‘Lethes Water’. Brush and ink. Accompanied by a homily. 8x9.75 inches. Framed: 21x16 inches. £175.Click here for the homily.
66. LAKE DISTRICT (subject) ‘St John’s Vale’. Brush and ink. Accompanied by a homily. 6x9 inches. Framed: 21x16.25 inches. £175.Click here for the homily.
67. LAMBERT George Washington A.R.A. (1873-1930) The artist’s wife, Amy, and their son Constant. Pencil. Signed and dated, 1905. 8.5x5.25 inches. Framed: 13.5x11 inches. £475.
68. LAMB Henry R.A. (1886-1960) A wooded stream near Coombe Bissett, Wiltshire. Pencil, pen and ink. Provenance: a group of Lamb drawings ‘from the family’, Christies S.K. Mods March/April 1996. 7x8.5 inches. Framed: 15x16 inches. £575.
69. LANCASTER Sir Osbert (1908-1986) ‘Dear HB Division…’. Pen and ink drawn as a Thank You note to the GLC Historic Buildings Division in response to their Knighthood congratulations. Signed. 7.75x5.25 inches. £275.
70. LANDELLS Ebenezer (1808-1860) ‘Changing the Escort at Abourfield (sic Arborfield)’, Berkshire. Pencil study for the engraving in The Illustrated London News’ (25.1.1845) of Queen Victoria being greeted outside ‘The Bull’ when driving from Windsor to Stratfield Saye to visit the Duke of Wellington on 20th January, 1845. Provenance: Album of Landells’ studies. 6.75x9.75 inches. £375.
71. LANDELLS Ebenezer (1808-1860) ‘The Recorder presenting the Mace to the Queen at Wokingham’, Berkshire. Pencil study for the illustration in The Illustrated London News, 1845. Extensively inscribed by the artist. Provenance: Album of Landells’ studies. 6.75x9.75 inches. £475.
72. LANDELLS Ebenezer (1808-1860) Queen Victoria being welcomed beneath a decorated Arch. Pencil. Indistinctly inscribed. Circa 1845. Provenance: Album of Landells’ studies. 7x10 inches £225.
73. LEE Sydney R.A. (1866-1949) ‘The Cottage Doorway’. Woodcut. Signed, inscribed and editioned 26/40. 7x8.5 inches. £375.
74. LEIGHTON Clare S.W.E. R.E. (1898-1989) Woman under umbrella. Wood engraving. Signed and edition16/30 inches. 4x2.75 inches. Framed: 12.5x11 inches. £475.
75. LOXTON KNIGHT Edward (1905-1993) Storm Cloud and Sunlight. Oil on canvas. Signed. 20x24 inches. Framed: 25x29 inches. £2750.
76. LEITCH William Leighton R.I. (1898-1989) In the Highlands. Ink and watercolour and gouache. Studio stamp. Exhibited: Spink. 13x19 inches. Framed: 22x27.5 inches. £875.
77. LOWENTHAL Artur (1879-1964) ‘Colin Tennant, son of Lord Glenconner’. Colin Tennant, Lord Glenconner (1926-2010). Bronze. roundel Signed. Hand written label verso. 6x6 inches. £575.
78. LEITCH William Leighton R.I. (1804-1883) ‘Loch Achray’, Perthshire. Pencil, watercolour and gouache. Inscribed and dated, September 20th 1860. 5x13.75 inches. Framed: 13.5x22 inches. £1100.
79. MARX Enid R.D.I. (1902-1998) Agapanthi. Linocut on yellow paper. Signed. 31.25x13.25 inches. Framed: 41x22.5 inches. £875.
80. MARX Enid R.D.I. (1902-1998) Iris. Linocut on Japan paper. Signed. 31x13.25 inches. Framed: 41.25x22.25 inches. £875.
81. MARX Enid R.D.I. (1902-1998) Agapanthi. Linocut on tan paper. Signed. 31.25x13.25 inches. Framed: 41x22.5 inches. £875.
82. MELI Filippo (b.1795) ‘Lo Sacremento’. Pencil. Circa 1830.Signed and inscribed. 8x11 inches. £175.
83. MCBEY James (1883-1959) ‘The Quay, Macduff’. Aberdeenshire. Ink and watercolour. Signed, inscribed and dated, 3rd September, 1914. Exhibited: Fine Art Society, 1976. 14.5x9.5 inches. £2250.
84. MICHONZE Gregoire (1902-1982) Wartime desolation of his French village. Ink and watercolour. Circa 1942 8x10 inches. Framed: 15.5x17.5 inches. £475.
85. NASH John R.A. (1893-1977) Study of a felled tree. Pencil and watercolour. Lightly squared. 9x11.75 inches. Framed: 16.25x18.5 inches. £1500
86. NEWCOMB Tessa (b.1955) Frieze of Nudes. Oil paints on a wooden tray (Perspex protective sheet) Signed and dated, 1992. 15.5x21.5 inches. £1750.
87. NICHOLSON Sir William (1872-1949) ‘The Foundling / Night’. Pencil. Signed and inscribed. 6x8.5 inches. Framed: 14.25x16 inches. £1250.
88. ’POWELL James & Sons (Whitefriars) Limited, 100 Wigmore St. W1’. Ditchingham Church, Norfolk. Presentation drawing for the Rider-Haggard window, with Archangels Michael and Raphael. Ink and watercolour. Inscribed and dated, 1925. The window was commissioned 1925 by the artist’s daughter Lilias in memory of Sir Henry Rider Haggard (1856-1925) and the roundels depict his African farm, the Pyramids and a view of Bungay from the Vineyard Hills close to his home. 13.5x9.75 inches. £475.
89. ‘POWELL James and Sons (Whitefriars) Ltd, 100 Wigmore Street, London, England’. U.S.A. St Luke’s Episcopal Church, Evanston, Illinois. Presentation drawing (No.8) for the ‘Venerable Bede /Spokane / Olympia’ Window . Ink and watercolour. 1928. Inscribed. 16.5x11.5 inches. £275.
90. ‘POWELL James and Sons (Whitefriars) Ltd, 100 Wigmore Street, London, England’. USA. Church of the Ascension, Mount Vernon N.Y. Presentation drawing for the ‘Nativity’ Window in the South Transept. Ink and watercolour. Inscribed and dated, 1927. 13.5x8.25 inches. £375.
91. REID Samuel (1854-1919) ‘On the Firth of Forth looking from Torryburn to Falkirk Oil on canvas. Circa 1890. Signed. Inscribed on the stretcher. 11.5x17.5 inches. Original frame: 23x29 inches. £875.
92. PISSARRO Lucien (1863-1944) Draped Girl. Black and white chalks on grey green paper. Pencil monogram. 16x10 inches. £750.
93. RICHARDSON Thomas Miles Jnr (1813-1890) A lane, supposedly near Alnwick, Northumberland. Watercolour and gouache. Signed and indistinctly dated 18(4or6)4. Exhibited: Colnaghi. 8.5x13 inches. Framed: 16.75x20.75 inches. £975.
94. ROBERTS David R.A. (1796-1864) Rome: San Francesco Romano and the Arch of Titus. Watercolour. Signed and inscribed. Exhibited: Colnaghi. 7.25x10.25 inches. Framed: 15.25x17.75 inches. £6750.
95. SHACKLETON William (1872-1933) Street at dusk. Etching. 1893. Signed. 4.75x3.25 inches. £95.
96. SEAGO Edward R.W.S. (1910-1974) ‘The Cheese Market,Hoorn’, Holland. Ink and watercolour. Signed. Exhibited: Colnaghi. 10.5x14.75 inches. Framed: 19.5x23 inches. £5500.
97. SUTTON PALMER Harry (1854-1933) ‘Coniston Water’, Cumbria. Watercolour. Signed. 13x20 inches. £875.
98. UNDERWOOD Leon (1890-1975) Battersea Bridge from Cheyne Walk. Oil on canvas, Signed and dated, 1920. Exhibited: Fine Art Society. 18x24 inches. Framed: 24x30 inches. £4750.
99. VEYRASSAT Jules Jacques (1828-1893) Return from the fields. Watercolour and gouache. Circa 1860. Signed. 6x9.75 inches. £575.
100. WHEATLEY Francis R.A. (1747-1801) ‘La Belle Francaise’: a couple going to market. Ink and watercolour. Exhibited: Colnaghi. 9x8 inches. Framed: 17x16 inches. £1500
101. WHEATLEY Francis R.A. (1747-1801) A cottage at dusk. Watercolour. Signed and dated, 1800. Exhibited: Colnaghi. 8x10 inches. Framed:17x19 inches. £1200.
102. WHEATLEY Francis R.A. (1747-1801) ‘La Belle Anglaise’, a Lady out riding with a groom. Ink and watercolour. Exhibited: Colnaghi. 9x8 inches. Framed: 17x16 inches. £1750.