Nicholl R.H.A., Andrew (1804 - 1886)
Ceylon / Sri Lanka; the entrance of the Lowamahapaaya Temple in the Anuradhapura sacred city. The Lowamahapaaya Temple (Lowa, "metal". Maha paaya, "huge building") was a nine-story building built by King Dutugemunu in the 5th Century that housed Buddhist monks. On the floor are scattered Guard Stones suggesting this was the main entrance. Pencil. Inscribed and dated, 'July 22 1848'. Provenance: the Emerson Tennant family, Co Fermanagh, and by descent. 9.5x13.75 inches.

This work appears in the Group: ANDREW NICHOLL - CEYLON